Looking for opinions on 1/48 aircraft kits

mechaninac

Just as the title and description say. I wish to build a few 1/48 (maybe some 1/72 to go with M+) models of fighter planes to flesh out my Yamato 1/48 collection. Namely I'd like to start with an F-16C or later, and next an F/A-18.

I know that Monograms are cheapest, but have raised panel lines, copious amounts of inaccuracies, and dreadful molding quality, and Hasegawas are among the nicest and priciest things you can get your grubby fingers on.

What I'd like to know is, from a price vs. accuracy vs. detail standpoint, which brand (Revell, Tamyia, Italieri, Monogram, Hasegawa, Fugimi, etc) gives you the best bang for the buck for the moderately competent model builder.

Aside from the aforementioned F-16 and F/A-18, feel free to add info on any other aircraft that suits your fancy (F-14, F-15, F-4, Harrier, etc...go nuts), but the focus should be on 1/48 scale.

Thanks in advance for any "brain droppings" of wisdom anyone wishes to contribute.

Cheers,

Sergio

Hase 1/48 F-16's cost 1/3 as much as their F-14/18's. Buy away---the Hase 1/48 F-16 is the best F-16 you can buy, period. Fits great, quite accurate. And can easily be had for 20-25 bucks. Be sure to try to snag an F-16CJ Block 50 or thereabouts, to have enough parts to build what you want. What exact type are you looking for?

Hase 1/48 F-18: Horrendously expensive. Supposed to be pretty nice, never bought one myself. Monogram F-18, while raised-line, isn't bad, shape/accuracy-wise. Fit's not that great, but then NO F-18 kit has really good fit, except the Academy 1/32 F-18. (Next best-fitting F-18 has got to be the new Hase F-18E/F). Note: Monogram F-18's have been permanently modified into F-18C's, whereas Hase ones still allow you to build an A from a C kit. (or even a CF-18--there's really only one mold for the 1/48 Hase F-18 kit afaik, the decals included will determine what parts the instruction sheet has you use--but your basic Hase F-18 includes parts for everything from a Blue Angels A to the latest nigh-attack C---which could explain the price)

1/48 F-14: Hasegawa. Amazing accuracy, not that great of fit. Many people talk about the new Academy, but I can't comment on it. There's a big thread about it here though: http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/foru...t=ST&f=3&t=9803

PS---run, run far away from the Italeri 1/48 F-14's. Trust me.

1/48 F-15: Again, Hase. LOTS of people like the Academy, but the shape is just off around the engines and nose. Surprising note: The Monogram 1/48 F-15 is the most well-shaped F-15 ever, of any scale. The shape is just spot-on. Fit's actually decent, too. But it is a 20-year-old Monogram kit, with all that entails.

F-4--can't comment on in 1/48.

Harrier II--only 2 real options in 1/48, a 25-year old Monogram, or a "brand new mold this month" Hase. Guess which is better. :)

I'm more of a 1/72 guy. (I can talk ALL about 1/72 jets) (My *long* term plans are basically many 1/72 to have lots of squadrons represented for each type (and not spend 100 hours on each model), and 1 or 2 1/48 of each type for detailed, large models of my absolute favorite squadrons---and probably 1 1/32 for each of the "big 4" (14/15/16/18) for my personal fave aircraft)

PS--my thoughts overall: Hase's are well worth the money, there are few exceptions (and basically only in 1/72, Hase utterly rules 1/48). There's almost no such thing as a "cheap, sparsely detailed, but basically accurate and good-fitting kit". I wish there was. There's only "bad, cheap, inaccurate, horribly-fitting" and "expensive, accurate, well-fitting, and has 500 parts to display every possible panel and bay open with 4 flap options and 3 nose gears and a 35-step manual".

What, half the people here have 1/48 VF-1's, but no 1/48 F-14/15/16/18's? :)

Anyways--forgot to mention, the new Revell-Monogram 1/48 F-15E is by far the most (read: only) accurate F-15E out there. Heck, one of the best F-15's period. It's one of those "I can't believe they actually made something really good". I might snag one, because there are NO F-15E's anywhere even close to accurate in 1/72, and no aftermarket parts to make them so. Might as well have a single nice big one, if I can't do a few small ones. The F-15E is a consistent "they totally F'ed up the basic, major differences between it and a D, even though there's 150,000 pics of the thing online covering it panel by panel, rivet by rivet".

Can't believe I forgot it--don't have one myself, but have seen nothing but rave reviews. Good fit, recessed lines, FULL bombload, nice decals, best exhaust nozzles (many people buy them just for the nozzles to put on other F-15 kits), and quite cheap as large 1/48 jets go.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Anyways--forgot to mention, the new Revell-Monogram 1/48 F-15E is by far the most (read: only) accurate F-15E out there. Heck, one of the best F-15's period. It's one of those "I can't believe they actually made something really good". I might snag one, because there are NO F-15E's anywhere even close to accurate in 1/72, and no aftermarket parts to make them so. Might as well have a single nice big one, if I can't do a few small ones. The F-15E is a consistent "they totally F'ed up the basic, major differences between it and a D, even though there's 150,000 pics of the thing online covering it panel by panel, rivet by rivet".

Can't believe I forgot it--don't have one myself, but have seen nothing but rave reviews. Good fit, recessed lines, FULL bombload, nice decals, best exhaust nozzles (many people buy them just for the nozzles to put on other F-15 kits), and quite cheap as large 1/48 jets go.

They got the CFT pylons spot on this time round?

My 1/48 scale aircraft knowledge is rather void... much like David I used to be all over the 1/72 scale series until I stopped building and sold all of my models (HobbytownUSA in North Little Rock still has my 1/32 VF-41 Blackaces Tomcat on display, that was a monogram *or revell, can't remember which* kit with aftermarket decals made by a local dealer that specialized in that sort of thing)

After hearing David talk all day long about different fighter models, I've GOT to go to Little Rock and pick up a new F-14 model (the problem being, I want a D and I want to be able to display it in flight mode, wings open... it seems like all of the best kits demand that you build it wings swept and on the ground... or else mod the hell out of it)

Edited by Skull Leader

1. New Revell 1/48 F-15E is the one and only model with the right CFT's. 1 big pylon inboard, 3 little ones outboard. Has intake-mounted LANTIRN pods, too. It's got EVERYTHING, afaik. Bulged gear doors, wide-angle HUD, etc.

http://www.f-15estrikeeagle.com/reviews/mo...5511/review.htm

This release doesn't have many weapons---there's many different releases!

http://www.f-15estrikeeagle.com/reviews/mo.../jon/review.htm

A different one, with some LGB's.

2. All of the good F-14's want wings forward, flaps down. It's a little easier to put the Hase flaps up than a Fuji's. (Actually, the Hase wings are easier to build regardless, it's one of the places a Hase is flat-out better than a Fuji) I've never tried building any F-14 gear up, don't know how it'd go.

I guess companies feel that you don't get as much detail out of an aircraft in flight (can't see the intricate flaps or landing gears, etc), so unless I was building an F-14 "in the groove and calling the ball" I'd probably have to mod.