semi transparent white?

IIymij

<_< hey everyone i know i dont post a lot in these forums but i do read almost everything in this section in particualry and i was wonder if anybody knew how to have a semi transparent white color? kind of like a white filter i do not own an airbrush but use old style paint brushes to do my modeling. i tried adding water to my white paint but the consistency of the white was just terrible.

anybody got any ideas? or maybe ive gone and confused everyone again.... <_<

I've had some bad experiences with Tamiya Flat Base. Brush it on, and it turns powdery white (rubs off on your finger, too!). You could try that. Or use Future Floor Wax or Tamiya Clear in your white.

Failing that, break out the DullCote and don't let go of that spray nozzle.

• 4 weeks later...
I've had some bad experiences with Tamiya Flat Base. Brush it on, and it turns powdery white (rubs off on your finger, too!). You could try that. Or use Future Floor Wax or Tamiya Clear in your white.

Failing that, break out the DullCote and don't let go of that spray nozzle.

Never mix Tamiya white with Future!!! I did it and get some nasty particles.

Maybe Tamiya clear + tamiya white would do the trick.

Tamiya Flat base is only meant to be mixed in with the paint, not applied as a top coat. That's probably why you had problems with it, Terrence. Personally, anything I paint in Tamiya gets a blast of good old DullCote. It gives me some of the flattest finishes I've seen.

As for a semi transparent white finish, I'd try mixing Gunze white and one their clears. IIRC, it was how I painted the "dome" on the head of an old AMT Alien figure, and it worked like a charm.

Edited by bsu legato

thanks for the input guys ^^ i was tinking of buying one of those clear blue hasegawa valks and then having semi transparent white for Max's tv valkyrie

bsu legato - do you have a picture of your model you tried it on?

again much appreicated guys =D

I just thought of something that might help you... (short of airbrushing on some milk :p)

It's a pastel trick I saw done a few months ago, commonly used to simulate 'whitewashing' of WW2 era planes.

Get yourself some white artists' pastels (or plain white chalk might do the job too), and use a hobby knife to shave a bit off, giving you a fine powder. Then mix it well with some water, giving you almost like a very thin paint. Then get a wide brush, and brush it over the surface of the model. Give it plenty of time to dry before you do anything else to it.

Once it's dry, you can mess around with it a bit to try to get the opacity you want. If it's too thin, give it another coat. If it's too thick, try rubbing some off with a rag, and/or go over it with a wet brush.

Also, if the chalk isn't sticking well (and it should), try giving the parts a flat clear coat on the bare plastic before you begin.

One of the nice things about working with pastels on models, is that if you mess up or just don't like the results, you can just wash it all off with water and try again :) So give it a shot and see if it'll work for you.

thanks for the input guys ^^ i was tinking of buying one of those clear blue hasegawa valks and then having semi transparent white for Max's tv valkyrie

bsu legato - do you have a picture of your model you tried it on?

again much appreicated guys =D

I have thought about that too a while ago!! My conclusions: it is not a good idea. You can have a semi transparent white but if you applied it on top of the transparent blue of that kit it would turn a semi transparent light blue... Sadly Hasegawa produced the clear colorless VF-1S just for a model show in Japan. It would be a very interesting model since it would be easier to paint it with clear paints to whatever scheme you want. I can't understand the idea of those ultra limited issues...

hmmmms rar that sounds good i guess ill try clear tamiya with some white thanks for the input guys

** any of you guys form vancouver that can help me out with places to shop? crystal mall seems to be the only place i know =P