Lineage II

Vostok 7

Sorry - I think I just don't like the MMORPGS things. It's all point and click. There doesn't seem to be any skill involved.

I put it down after 30 minutes bored out of my mind, so I'm not the best person to judge it for people who like this sort of thing.

wait...you can't move your character around with the joypad?

i guess i'm really the n00b, this will be my first mmorpg... :ph34r:

and oh yes, if nerfing is what i think it is, they had better not do it to me when i get my first cool piece of armor or a cool weapon... :angry:

Edited by estacado06479

Just wondering if anyone has had trouble d/l'ing the huge client file. I can't seem to connect in numerous attempts in the past 3-4 days.

That is the main reason why I haven't been able to try out this game :angry:

LOL

i ended up upgrading my ign subscription to include fileplanet just to download theirs, 55 minutes thank you very much

of course that deosnt include the hour i spent getting patches after i installed it.

there are only three servers, and they are having a tough time handling the load, they are bringing another server up this week, so maybe ill actually be able to log in. hehe

and fileplanet gives you a serial when you downlooad the program

and they are already going to nerf the archers, which up to now is the most powerful weapon wise

Edited by estacado06479

Reports from veteran MMORPGers are that the game blows ass, even more so than its predecessor, and similar in that they are both massively behind the times games.

Update. Got my beta CD key. This is the first "pro" MMORPG where I was tired of it in under 2 hours. Its so mediocre and awful as to not be funny.

Even some of the worst MMORPGs are better than this pile of dullness.

Play the beta for yourselves of course, but you are better off with almost any other MMORPG that is doing moderately well, even the ones I think are crappy.

MMORPGS better than Lineage 2:

Shadowbane

Asheron's Call

Asheron's Call 2

Earth & Beyond (Being cancelled)

Everquest

Ultima Online

Anarchy Online

Star Wars Galaxies

Multiplayer Battletech 3025 (Cancelled in Beta)

Dark Ages of Camelot

MMORPGs worse than Lineage 2:

Rubies of Eventide (Being cancelled IIRC)

Gemstone 3

Jumpgate

MMORPGS I havent tried so can't comment on that I know of:

All bazillion lameass Koream MMORPGs

Final Fantasy 11

City of Heroes ( In Beta)

Eve Online

Meridian 59

Edited by Bloodcat

I think the key here is different design philosophy (East v. West)...

Lineage II to me was very boring... bam! born into the virtual world... then what? Talk to somebody, get mission, finish mission, get another totally unrelated mission, this time wait for mobs to spawn cause tons of other newbies are killing your quest mobs. There's really no story there. I'd say Lineage II was made purely for player interaction (even then it's only very rudimental... I'd really limit this to PK...). Aside from the graphics, there's really not much that Lineage II holds over, say, Diablo II. And Diablo II is *old*. I could be even crueller and say MUDs, but not now =)

Maybe it's just me, but I really can't see why MMORPGs for a lot of people involves PK... PK... and more PK. People should collaborate to accomplish certain missions (haven't played one that really does this), work together to build an entire economy (limited, and in a lot of cases don't work well. I hear UO has it down well, and SWG somewhat nerfed it), set up some kind of LAW and ORDER (sorely lacking... players are not held accountable for what they do. Hapless victim is PK'd and that's the end of the story...).

Attainable? Why not? Quite a few MUDs way back when had all of the elements I just stated, and actually worked quite well. Oh, the "different target audience" doesn't really work here... MUD players way back when were not much olders than a lot of MMORPG players now.

k.. enough of the ranting... maybe I just miss the days of becoming a superhero and attaining triple classes in Aardwolf :-p Come to think of it, I think my account is still alive... need to log on and see how the MUD scene is doing these days...

EDIT: Spelling corrections... god I can't spell....

Edited by Akilae

• 2 weeks later...

Resurrecting this thread..

Just got my key yesterday, have been playing since then. Obviously, a blast -- In less than a day I went from 0 to Lvl 9 Human Fighter. Could have been faster, but I went and bit off more than I can chew and died a few times.

This is my first MMORPG, so I can't really say whether it's good or bad. It's definitely gorgeous, even on my dated system.

The game, well, easy enough on the initial, but the XP penalties for dying and the hefty cost of equipment is really a major hurdle to my enjoyment.. My equipment doesn't match the level of opponents I'm supposed to be facing!

Other than that, I don't really feel much RPG'ing here.. just a slower FPS, seems to be. There should be more infrastructure for player interactions. One interesting idea I had was the creation of a registered quest, where players will register quests to be completed, rather than waiting for NPCs to complete it.

I guess the really major player interactions will come in only when Clan vs. Clan battles are fought.

An interesting devlelopment came towards the end of my session. I was tired and didn't want to go solo so I went to the Obelisk of Victory, where I knew a more experienced player was acting as the role of a fire brigade. I paired up with this player to act as a bacon-puller, someone who steps in when a PC bites off more than he can chew and take care of his opponents.

We were so good at it, the Obelisk was very crowded at the end... Many PCs sought it as a safe haven. When they bite off more than they can chew and a train forms, it is inevitable that the PC will lead the train back to the Obelisk, where we all waited to chop the critters up. :)

Anyway, a bit of eye candy for you folks. :)

post-26-1081554427_thumb.jpg

In TW beta I got lots of my money and exp from Red Eye bats near the entrance of School of Dark Arts. I'd suggest using a Hunting Bow with power shot and soul shots on them until they close in on you tho, cuz they can tear you apart up close :D

Oh yeah, you can also kill orcs and blood fungus near the swamps. They're easy to kill, but all the cash will add up when ur done killing the lot of them. Also keep doing the fungus sac and zombie head quests for cash, as you can keep repeating them ^_^

Edited by Mellow Yellow

Hey, you guys still have time to post here? :) If it wasn't for Erica's (unscheduled) downtime last night, I'd never had seen this post. :p

I'm now a Lvl13 Human Fighter trying to go to Lvl12. :) The skills are really the high point of the XP system, that's really what I'm aiming for nowadays.

Got myself a set of bone armour the other day.. can't wait to get "real" armour. :) I need to upgrade my weapons soon though.. while I can tackle monsters of around my area, it takes too long and I take too much damage doing that.

Right now on weekdays I spend an hour or two just hanging around quest areas to help out. The xp gain is little, but the SP and money gains are quite nice.. I pulled in 4K~6K and about 500SP in that time.

More eye candy. This is leather armour; I've since upgraded but don't have a pic handy.

post-26-1081997362_thumb.jpg

I signed up for about 8 keys......still havent got any of em.

Maybe it's because you signed up for 8 keys...?

I signed for 1 and got it in about a week. Frankly, if you don't have it by now, there's not much point to it as the Open Beta is about halfway over.

TBH, I'm not sure whether this game is suitable for all gamers. It's fairly open and relies a lot on people taking the initiative to set up interesting situation in game. It merely provides the engine, some minor form of economy and a few quests to help newbies along... everything else AFAIK is player-driven.

I've been playing on Bartz with a few friends. I've even managed to get my Dark Elf to level 20 and change professions to Assasin. Had a blast today, a bunch of losers from another server that was down came in and started harrasing our DE lowbies for a few hours. Every time I'd see one of the red-tagged PK'ers I'd knock them down with a single shot from my Bow of Forest. :lol:

Here's a screenshot from a few days ago when I was still using a Hunting Bow:

post-26-1082007961_thumb.jpg

I've been playing on Bartz with a few friends. I've even managed to get my Dark Elf to level 20 and change professions to Assasin. Had a blast today, a bunch of losers from another server that was down came in and started harrasing our DE lowbies for a few hours. Every time I'd see one of the red-tagged PK'ers I'd knock them down with a single shot from my Bow of Forest. :lol:

Hehe. The bunch of losers were probably from Erica, my server, because it went down for maintenance last night (my time).

But I agree -- if they are lame enough to go in to PK newbies, then they deserved what they got.

I love the way Power Shot works in this case.. there was this one time when a PKer was chasing a newbie over a ridge and to the other side, out of LOS. I unlimbered my Short Bow, did a Power Shot over the ridge, and nailed the PKer without him even realising that he was being targetted. :)

Talk about homing missile. :p

Talking about Bow of Forest, one joke that circulated around Erica briefly was when someone advertised a "Forest of Bow" for sale. :) The mental image of a forest full of bows was irresistable. :p