MW Forums User Map.

I've always wondered where a majority of MW'ers are posting from (besides the United States). I know there are plenty of you posting from overseas, I figured it'd be kind of interesting if we had some kind of "user map".

Do you guys know of an online mapping program? For example....once your zip code is entered into the database, that information is placed onto a world map. Your information is then compared to other MW'ers that live within a certain radius.

Anyone know where this can be done? :D

Didn't Shawn already mention an idea for a project like this?

I think the problem was that no one had the skills and time to program such a thing, and we couldnt find a suitable program to do it from somebody else.

Still a very cool idea and it'd be great to see it done. :)

Yup, remember that, no one had a program and it kinda fell off the map

i think there is a feature in ikonboard that you can turn on and it will allow you to have a flag based on the country of origin you choose.

Ooooooohhhhhh!!!!! That's interesting! I think it can't be done here though, right?

• 4 weeks later...

If I had the Latitude and Longitutde where everyone lived in, I could do something in AutoCAD. I have a world map that uses those coordinates in one of my files. I could create an image of lighted areas, to show where the majorities and minorities of the board are. It's pretty easy to get these coordinates, as there are many websites that can figure them out for you. Let me know if you're interested.

If I had the Latitude and Longitutde where everyone lived in, I could do something in AutoCAD. I have a world map that uses those coordinates in one of my files. I could create an image of lighted areas, to show where the majorities and minorities of the board are. It's pretty easy to get these coordinates, as there are many websites that can figure them out for you. Let me know if you're interested.

Welcome to the MW Forums Metal_Massacre_79! :p

Got my coordinates.

Latitude: N 37 35 44

Longitude: W 122 1 5

Edited by UN Spacy

Perfect! I guess the way I can work this, is by finding out how many people live in a certain city, and give a certain color to the dot that I place on the city (i.e. a red dot means 1-300 people, blue for 301-600, etc.) Keep 'em coming

Mods, if you prefer I can start a new thread somewher else, as I know this is for complaints and suggestions. I just don't know where it would go.

The colored dots would probably best for areas such as Los Angeles and it's suburbs or Chicago and it's suburbs (where I am). The size of the map needed to make dots represent each town would be too large to be practical, especially considering how many members live outside the US in Japan, Malaysia, Canada, etc...

Using dots to denote geographical regions would be better.

I was thinking of maybe doing a connect the dots sort of thing and creating boudries of geographical areas. However, I need more than just two locations to start with.

Hey, muswp1! We're practically neighbors. I'm in Racine, WI (lived in Chicago for 15 years though).

Edited by Metal_Massacre_79

Cool, I know where Racine is. There's actually a few MWer's in my area. dejr8bud lives around here somewhere too. My brother won one of his auctions for a Bandai VF-1J and the met face to face to complete the deal.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by muswp1