English versions of Macross

GianS

Hi there

I was just wondering if other serieses of Macross ie Macross 7, Plus etc are available in English and if so which would be recommeded?

I have the full Robotech DVD set in english of course and Macross DYRL subtitled.

Please advise

Regards

Gian

The only ones I know for sure are available in English dubbed versions are Macross Plus and Macross II OVAs and movies. DYRL? is available in English as the horrendously butchered "Clash of the Bionoids", but that doens't really count.

Edited by mechaninac

The only ones I know for sure are available in English dubbed versions are Macross Plus and Macross II OVAs and movies. DYRL? is available in English as the horrendously butchered "Clash of the Bionoids", but that doens't really count.

The DVD version of the Macross Plus movie is only available with English subtitles, correct?

Correct.

You can find most of your answers at

http://macross.anime.net/production/animat...tion/index.html

http://www.mahq.net/animation/macross/macross.htm

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/video/_video_menu.htm

Briefly,

SDF Macross is available subbed from Animeigo.

Macross Plus OAV is available subbed and dubbed from Manga.

Macross Plus Movie is available subbed from Manga.

Macross II is available from Manga in sub/dub.

Do You Remember Love is available dubbed (really badly), and subbed on VHS. The subbed version was only released in the UK, by Kiseki films.

DYRL is also available subbed in various HK bootleg DVDs. Macross 7 and Macross Zero are not available in English unless you get subtitled bootlegs. Even with bootlegs, I don't think there's an English version of FB 2012--but there's basically no point, as it's nearly all singing, with a tiny tiny bit of dialog--for which you can refer to translations available on the net.

Edited by ewilen

Do You Remember Love is available dubbed (really badly), and subbed on VHS. The subbed version was only released in the UK, by Kiseki films.

There was a subbed version here in the US, IIRC, Eweilen. It was edited in a few places to remove Minmay's nudity and the two decapitations, but in a much more seamless way than in other edited versions. It was also, sadly, removed very quickly because it was released about the same time HG began their big push to claim all rights to the Macross franchise outside of Japan.

Edited by Pat Payne

Hi

Wow, thanks for all the info!!!

Which series would you guys recommend for a Macross?Robotech fan which is English speaking of course? I can't go an by all at once so I have to make a few descisions.

I forgot to add that I won the whole Robotech on DVD already.

Thanks again :)

Gian

Edited by GianS

Hi

Wow, thanks for all the info!!!

Which series would you guys recommend for a MAcross?robotech liver which is English speaking of course? I can't go an by all at once so I have to make a few descisions

Thanks again :)

Gian

well for a "liver" I would recomend a lot of beer beer.gif

bah... a lot of beer case.gif

as for vids... RT is cheaper and you can buy them in singles here in the US... original Macross is quite expensive... good question.

Watch them in the order they were produced, using the Compendium link as a guide.

You can probably skip Macross II, though, since it's not part of the official universe any more, and most people think it's somewhere between bad and below average story-wise. (I haven't seen the cartoon, but the manga version is wretched.)

Macross 7 is highly controversial--a lot of Macross fans (especially in the US) hate it, and a lot of Macross fans love it. You can probably skip it since it lies at the end of the current Macross continuity; all the other stuff takes place before Macross 7. However, some concepts from M7 seem like they might show up in Macross Zero (even though Zero is chronologically the earliest in the continuity). I doubt that would affect your understanding or appreciation of M0, though.

For more information on M7, I'd suggest you do a couple searches because the same debate basically keeps coming up. If you start a new topic, you're just going to distract everyone from Econ 101 (aka, the Q-Rau price wars).

Edited by ewilen

You can probably skip Macross II, though, since it's not part of the official universe any more, and most people think it's somewhere between bad and below average story-wise. (I haven't seen the cartoon, but the manga version is wretched.)

I'm probably one of the few people around here who liked Macross II. While it didn't have the greatest of stories, I liked the animation, especially the battle sequences in the last two episodes.

I do not know if you are refering to the Manga Entertainment release of Macross II when you say it's wretched. It's a direct copy of the US Renditions video tape release. And Manga did give us a Japanese language version where US Renditions did not. I find that kind of odd, because at the time, USR was promising that anime would be shown in its original language with accurate subtitles. You want abysmal, try watching USR's English version of Orguss. Not to mention their subtitling jobs with Gunbuster, Dangaioh (Which Manga really f**ked up later on), and Black Magic M-66.

If you are refering to Viz's comic adaptation, then I would have to agree with you.

As for the English language version of DYRL, avoid it like the plague. Especially that hacked up Clash of the Bionoids version. Stick with the Japanese version.

Edited by Noriko Takaya