Eva Director's Cut Vol. 2

Anubis

I toyed with keeping this in the other eva thread, but since that one was supposed to be about the ending anyway, I decided to do this in a new thread.

I haven't watched the touched up episodes yet, but I did go through the new live action behind the scenes segment. All it was this time was an orchastrated slideshow of images. Bad news: outside of a few pics, they were the same ones as before. Good news: this time each shot was zoomed in on and panned so you could see some of the intricate details much better this time around.

Example:

post-26-1077598068_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

One item of interest is that in the Rei pic, her name is spelled correctly on her plugsuit after all.

post-26-1077598105_thumb.jpg

zoomed in. This one was may be without some of its armor apparently. May just seem that way because of the black and white shading though.

post-26-1077598162_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

I also don't remember this version of the hangar last time

post-26-1077598282_thumb.jpg

I just wish I could read the text at the bottom of the picture.

It says: "Version 1: Showing two EVA's in huge Hangar chamber. One is being lowered into bath chamber for organic component repair. EVA weapons and wings are on racks situated around the chamber. Huge mobile mechanical arms manoeuvre wings and weapons to be fitted onto EVA's."

This is the previous version of the hangar I remember seeing. Yeah, I do remember the other one in there last time now too.

post-26-1077599722_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

Thanks for da pictures Anubis. I definitely like what they've done with the entry plugs, if they're going for the realistic approach then they've definitely got it down. I wonder if they're still going to be filled with LCL. :ph34r:

One thing I like so far is that they really captured how these things do not look like good guy mecha. These evas look mean, properly organic and look like they need to be restrained. So far so good in that area. Still don't like the girls but the ARE just pre-production conceptual art pieces, so not a thing here is cast in stone.

Edited by Anubis

One thing I like so far is that they really captured how these things do not look like good guy mecha. These evas look mean, properly organic and look like they need to be restrained.

Indeed, that's a very nice touch. But the potential problem with that is that it might be revealing one the series' best secrets too early in the game.

One thing I like so far is that they really captured how these things do not look like good guy mecha.  These evas look mean, properly organic and look like they need to be restrained.

Indeed, that's a very nice touch. But the potential problem with that is that it might be revealing one the series' best secrets too early in the game.

One thing about a live action translation is they can only be so crypic about certain things given the timeframe of the movie. So I would expect some things to be much more obvious or revealed quicker as it goes on. Other things will be left for possible sequels.

OK, here's a run-up for Episode 24. I spot checked 25/26 and I will need to rewatch the original version first. I know right away there is replaced footage in there, and they took some of the extended footage and stuck it in there as expected. Asuka's expanded childhood during her assult from Ep. 22 for instance. Not a task I am undertaking at 2 AM.

Since there is already a thread dedicated to discussing the ending, here, let's leave the hard core discussion about the ending for that thread, and just handle the differences between the before and after here for those who want to know what was different in the Director's cut.

Now, to Ep. 24

-Shinji and Asuka actually DID have a kitchen fight to my surprise. The fight there though centered on Shinji's telling Asuka that Kaji was dead and her resusal to accept it. He managed to yell pretty good.

-The scene where the agents find asuka has been redrawn or at least really touched up.

- Kaworu's introduction was also spruced up big time with the scenery showing a really good sunset and way better color.

-When talking to Yui/Unit-01 Gendo has his right hand outstretched and you see the Adam enbryo embedded in his hand.

-When Kaworu meets Rei at the top of the escalator, his dialog is different.

-After the scene where Shinji stays at Kaworu's apartment, there is a scene where Kaworu is back at the lake on the Angel statue where the SEELE monolits appear before him and they have a little chat. Cool bonus added in with Misato watching from way off through binocculars, and only seeing Kaworu talking to himself. After the conversation is over and the monoliths disappear he turns and looks right at her freaking her out a little. Then jumps to Misato talking to Shiguire (forgive me if I misspell his name)

-Throughout the episode there are lots of little dialog changes, similar to what they did in the other DC episodes, only they were everywhere.

-The final lake scene with Misato and Shinji also saw a scenery upgrade and was much clearer with more lights in the water.

-The end preview had both the normal ep 25 preview, but also had a preview added to it for "Air" technically Ep. 25' (the first half of the movie)

If anyone else noticed anything I missed feel free to chime in.

Hopefully I will have time to do the last two tomorrow. If I do I'll post what I can for the last two episodes tomorrow night.

Thanks for the pics Anubis! The Special FX is great. The EVAs look very menacing!

So who's gonna take the role of the characters?

It'll be a long long long time before we here anything about that.

All of was just conceptual stage level stuff.

Edited by Anubis

Thanks for the pics Anubis! The Special FX is great. The EVAs look very menacing!

So who's gonna take the role of the characters?

It'll be a long long long time before we here anything about that.

Oh?! I hope they chose the right actors that fit closer to the anime.

OK, I watched both versions of 25 on Tuesday night, but only got to watch 26 just now both times.

These two episodes didn't have anything added to them, though some dialog was reworded like in the other episodes. No huge differences though after all.

Thinking about it, some of the changed dialog in all these DC episodes may just be due to a new subtitle script, but some of the actual wordings did sound different to me. Especially watching both versions of each episode back to back.

Aside from the wording changes in 26, that episode was untouched that I could see. 25 had some of the extended footage/touched up footage at the corresponding parts, such as the touched up nighttime lake scene from the end of ep. 24 being updated in 25 as well. No surprize.

I didn't really expect there to be much different for the last two episodes, but some of the new wordings (translation?) sounded better, a little easier on in some places.

With the new footage and updated script I'd say both DC discs are pretty worth it (if anything for 21-24), unless you really don't like to double dip. I'm glad ADV went though the effort to release these. These two discs have taken their place in the box replacing the older discs, which my brother now has. Just need to get him 3-6 now.

Indeed, that's a very nice touch.  But the potential problem with that is that it might be revealing one the series' best secrets too early in the game.

This is one thing I've never understood. It's clearly visible on the second episode of the series that evas are organic, yet Eva fans dubbed it a great secret.

The manga was even obscene on how clear it was the whole mother thing...

FV

Indeed, that's a very nice touch.  But the potential problem with that is that it might be revealing one the series' best secrets too early in the game.

This is one thing I've never understood. It's clearly visible on the second episode of the series that evas are organic, yet Eva fans dubbed it a great secret.

The manga was even obscene on how clear it was the whole mother thing...

FV

Very true. After Ep. 2 it is kind of obvious if anyone was paying atention. :lol:

and I love the manga version so far. :wub:

• 4 weeks later...