Painting VFs

fifbeat

I searched around and didn't see a topic that would fit my question, so I started a new thread.

I'm no painter, and I've never been a model-builder. But I've noticed in some of the threads that there are numerous Yamato's that people have painted and gave it that high-detailed "model" look by adding a nice touch of black in between the line-detail (cracks) of the VFs.

My question: Is this easy to do? Can we easily mess up our VFs if it's done wrong?

I'm not totally sure if I want to do it yet (based on my lack of experience), but they do look really cool touched up like that.

Any advice? Any web links?

Thanks in advance.

(Hopefully, tomorrow my first 1/48 will be at my door step. I can't wait. :D )

try here

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=5549

and here

http://www.tmpforums.com/index.php?showtop...2&hl=panel+line

I started with a black pen, but i am now using a gray one.

http://www.gundamstoreandmore.com/gunmargungra.html

you can also use a pencil to start to practice with.

Edited by Chowser

I also have a question about cutting and applying the stickers.

When I got my first Yamato 1/60, I thought I was doing a good job. But, the edges of the stickers started peeling -- and they weren't even tampered with, ESPECIALLY the skull logo. :o

With my 1/48, I ordered the Takatoys stickers. I'm going to use an Xacto knife...

How should I cut them? Should I leave a little bit of clear edge? Or should I get as close to the image as possible?

Please help -- thanks in advance, fellas.

BTW, if any of this info is on the macrossworld site/forum, then please direct me to it. I just don't have a lot of patience to "search" for this stuff.

Edited by fifbeat

As close to the image as possible is best. Also use a decal setting solution. I am having a mental block for the one I use. Solve-a-set or something like that.

It basically "melts" the decal into all the cracks and crevices making it appear painted on.

Decal setting solution is for water based decals. There are no such solutions for stickers because, well, they suck.

If they're vinyl stickers (or some form of plastic), you can use a blunt object (the back of your fingernail should work) to press the edge of the sticker down.

Your best bet in the end is to practice on decals and lay those down.

Skull-1, what size do you recommend when using the pencil method? I have a 0.7mm mechpencil, but I'm guessing I'll need the 0.5mm. Is there any smaller sizes?

Also, what's a good clear-coat you could recommend? Once I get my own 1/48 VF, I wanna seal/protect the Valk, stickers, and panel-lining.

Gah, for my first Valk that I want, I'm sure feeling ambitious. X_x'''

Skull-1, what size do you recommend when using the pencil method? I have a 0.7mm mechpencil, but I'm guessing I'll need the 0.5mm. Is there any smaller sizes?

There's a 0.3mm size too.

I recommend Sakura's Pigma Micron pens. The nibs are really fine, and it's an ink pen, so you get a solid black line instead of a graphite gray.

My next question is: WHERE do I get decals for the toys? I'm aware of the Takatoys stickers, but not of model decals.

Check out Twinmoon's website he's taking pre-orders for Devin's decals! You can also read up on them on the dealers section in the forum. Devin's decals are awesome!!!

Here's the link to twinmoon:

http://www.tmpanime.com/index.php?cPath=76&sort=2a&page=3

Good Luck!

Gene