Macross DYRL Perfect Edition bootleg

amptor

Hi,

Is there any difference between the bootleg and official widescreen version of this anime? I have seen copies of it floating around particularly on valkyrie exchange for about $8-$15. The official version costs $80. What's the deal with that? $80 is quite a bit excessive for one movie no matter how good the quality (though this is an excellent movie, I've probably watched it at least 10 times whereas I wouldn't bother purchasing most stuff that comes out in theatres)

Also if anyone knows a place selling the official version for a decent price (below $30 I'd say is fair) please let me know. It's doubtful though.

Hi,

Is there any difference between the bootleg and official widescreen version of this anime?  I have seen copies of it floating around particularly on valkyrie exchange for about $8-$15.  The official version costs $80.  What's the deal with that?  $80 is quite a bit excessive for one movie no matter how good the quality (though this is an excellent movie, I've probably watched it at least 10 times whereas I wouldn't bother purchasing most stuff that comes out in theatres)

Also if anyone knows a place selling the official version for a decent price (below $30 I'd say is fair) please let me know.  It's doubtful though.

try japan cd

Edited by Ali Sama

Hi,

Is there any difference between the bootleg and official widescreen version of this anime?  I have seen copies of it floating around particularly on valkyrie exchange for about $8-$15.  The official version costs $80.  What's the deal with that?  $80 is quite a bit excessive for one movie no matter how good the quality (though this is an excellent movie, I've probably watched it at least 10 times whereas I wouldn't bother purchasing most stuff that comes out in theatres)

Also if anyone knows a place selling the official version for a decent price (below $30 I'd say is fair) please let me know.  It's doubtful though.

tyrey japan cd

what?

You won't find the R2 release for 30.00. R2 DVDs are always expensive. Different economy, higher cost of living, dollar vs yen etc. The FX disc is a rip of the R2 disc from Bandai. I own both. The quality is close.

And ali meant cdjapan.co.jp to find the R2 version. he needs atyping program lol

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/

Ahh cool thanks. Well I just tried not to be rude with my reply to ali. Maybe he/she speaks Japanese?

Well how close would you say it is? Seems like a rip should be pretty much identical since it's all digital.

I'll check that site out and thanks for the heads up about those dvds being expensive. I think my PS2 is region free or something (there's always a way around that anyways). Hopefully the FX version plays well, I had a problem playing my Macross Zero Ep. 2 dvd on my ps2. Why I use a ps2 to play dvds is another matter off topic :p Just less clutter I suppose.

I have the older release of DYRL that I bought off of VE. I'm really hoping the FX quality will be superior to it, as I was a bit disappointed (especially that I think the dvd case says it is a DVD9 but my DVD-R says the disc is 4.3 gigabytes as I recall).

Thanks

You won't find the R2 release for 30.00. R2 DVDs are always expensive. Different economy, higher cost of living, dollar vs yen etc. The FX disc is a rip of the R2 disc from Bandai. I own both. The quality is close.

And ali meant cdjapan.co.jp to find the R2 version. he needs atyping program lol

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/

Ahh cool thanks. Well I just tried not to be rude with my reply to ali. Maybe he/she speaks Japanese?

Well how close would you say it is? Seems like a rip should be pretty much identical since it's all digital.

I'll check that site out and thanks for the heads up about those dvds being expensive. I think my PS2 is region free or something (there's always a way around that anyways). Hopefully the FX version plays well, I had a problem playing my Macross Zero Ep. 2 dvd on my ps2. Why I use a ps2 to play dvds is another matter off topic :p Just less clutter I suppose.

I have the older release of DYRL that I bought off of VE. I'm really hoping the FX quality will be superior to it, as I was a bit disappointed (especially that I think the dvd case says it is a DVD9 but my DVD-R says the disc is 4.3 gigabytes as I recall).

Thanks

Ali just types too fast and doesn't spell check.

PS2s aren't region free btw. You'd need a gameshark or action replay to play R2 DVDs.

The FX disc quality is very close to the R2 version and much better in terms of video than the old DYRL DVD. But I think the subs are a bit better on the old DVD.

Just wanted to add that you won't get English subtitles on the R2 dvd as well.

The Perfect Edition is as good as it gets - currently - for Macross DYRL fans in the US.

incorrect.

this prorgam download the script for dyrl here and you can watch your region 2 on your pc with English subs. heck I am wathcign it with perfect subs now.

Ali

Edited by Ali Sama

I hope this doesn't sound too dumb, but I still don't understand why the quality is close but not equal to (it says that on VE also on their product page) But I'm just curious, I'm sure I'll be happy with it. I'm hoping it's at least as good of a remaster as they did with the TV series for the US release of that. Too bad there's no decent english dub. Yeah I know english dubs aren't for the diehard anime fan but some dubs are real good and neon genesis evangeleon is great because you can switch between english and japanese speech and have subtitles as well. I guess maybe there was too much quarreling over the rights to this movie in the US because of harmony gold or something.

Edited by amptor

Bootleg DVD's are never quite as good as what they're ripping (..just got burned on a G-Gundam set, damn thing keeps skipping....will wait for bandai sale for the official!), but the FX disc is pretty damned good. Subtitles are accurate "enough" (though not as good as other scripts), has the whole movie (except for the toho pictures logo at the beginning), and the older bootlegs are missing 15-30 seconds of film in the middle of the movie.

Go for the FX disc....but nothing new of theirs, as all their new stuff is glitchy as hell.

Just wanted to add that you won't get English subtitles on the R2 dvd as well.

The Perfect Edition is as good as it gets - currently - for Macross DYRL fans in the US.

incorrect.

this prorgam download the script for dyrl here and you can watch your region 2 on your pc with English subs. heck I am wathcign it with perfect subs now.

Ali

Um, he meant that the DVD itself is not equipped with subtitles. You can't pop it into a R2/R0 DVD player and expect to see any. :)

Japanese DVD's cost an assload because they have huge profit margins. That's the same reason Japanese CD's cost 30 dollars for an album.

That, and they want to protect the "star status" or some crap like that...

It's also a function of "what the market will bear." They can sell a DVD in Japan for $80 because there are people willing to pay that much in numbers enough to make it profitable. Here, the Bros. Warner wouldn't dare charge that price for a single DVD even in their wildest wet dreams.

The video/audio quality of the FX DVD is great... just don't look for totally accurate subtitles... it isn't that they don't get the idea across, but they often "paraphrase" certain sets of dialogue... and they often leave out names (I think they assume any person could single them out of the dialogue and understand... for example: in the opening space battle, while Roy is giving the boys orders, he obviously addresses himself as "Skull Leader" over the radio, but the subtitles don't even say that Roy is identifying himself)

The DVD is certainly still a pleasure to watch... and the subs are still very readable... I happen to own both, so the question would be pretty moot for me, but I'd say so long as you weren't a script-nazi, you would be very happy with the FX DVD. Not to mention the fact that you get the original DYRL movie trailers on the FX DVD... a definate plus (the animefriend version is devoid of all extras)

Edited by Skull Leader

I've notice some serious interlace problems on the tv screen when viewing my R2 DYRL dvd on my R2 PS2 (SCPH-50000 model) so beware because the PS2 makes for a sh**ty dvd player. On my region free Toshiba SD 4900 dvd player it displays no interlacing problems whatsoever.

Edited by efisher

I just got the DVD today and watched it, it's great. FX version.. I like it a lot better than the full screen version I have. The animation is very crisp and looks like something that would be made recently, besides that you can really tell that the artwork is very beautiful, non cg. It's a great dvd. The FX box is transparent plastic too, pretty nice looking bootleg box and all. Plays great on my 27" sony wega :) And I'm just using the ps2 to play it.