The Unofficial Manga vs. Anime Thread

areaseven

There are countless manga titles we read on a daily basis. Many of them get picked up by production companies to be adapted in animated form. But through the transition, how close to the original story is the anime version?

This thread is to compare manga titles to their animated counterparts. Be warned that there will be plot spoilers included on these posts.

kurumicover01.jpg

Steel Angel Kurumi ( 鋼鉄天使くるみ )

by Kaishaku

Kadokawa Shoten, 1998-1999

ADV Manga, 2003-2004

Rated 18+ for graphic violence, gratuitous T&A, HLA and S&M.

trio01.jpg

Just how different is the TV series from this manga? Very different. First off, instead of the laboratory scene with a naked Kurumi, the manga begins with Dr. Ayanokouji on the run against Dr. Amagi and her troops. He loses control of his car and falls off a cliff.

Also, the three bullies do not drag Nakahito into Ayanokouji's house. They're just picking on him on a grassy plain when he falls into a covered pit that leads into the secret laboratory. Not only does Kurumi destroy the Kongo unit, she beats up every Imperial soldier she sees before bringing Nakahito and Dr. Ayanokouji to safety.

Instead of going to Nakahito's shrine, the trio stop over a hot spring to take a relaxing bath. While Nakahito and Dr. Ayanokouji talk about what's going on, Kurumi jumps in to give Nakahito a back rub. This is where Saki first attacks Kurumi.

So far, I've only finished the first 70 pages. Even so, I've already noticed that the anime rushed a few scenes and lengthened some other scenes. Most of the characters are recognizable except for Dr. Ayanokouji, who is at least 10 years younger in the manga.

As for content, I'm surprised that the anime's ecchi level is severely toned down compared to the manga. There are more panty shots, bust shots, you name it.

ADV's translation is decent, except for one mortal sin: not one line of "Kyuuin!" coming from Kurumi. Otherwise, the manga's worth picking up.

And for good measure, here's one for Noriko Takaya... B))

karinka01.jpg

Edited by areaseven

• 1 month later...

ggcover01.jpg

Gunslinger Girl ( ガンスリンガー・ガール )

by Yu Aida

Media Works, 2002

ADV Manga, 2003-2004

Rated 15+ for graphic violence, mature situations and strong language.

In terms of adaptation, the anime did a good job retelling this story. The major difference is that the manga is more graphic. You don't fully see Henrietta before she was picked up by the Social Welfare Agency. In the manga, she lost her left eye, right arm, left hand and left leg during the massacre of her family.

Other than that, there are very few differences between the manga and anime series.

Before I start mine, does The Nausicaa manga and movie count? I think it would, but I'm not quite sure...

Just a point of clarification.

Yes it does, whether the manga came out before the anime or vice-versa. This thread is about the differences between adaptations.

Before I start mine, does The Nausicaa manga and movie count?  I think it would, but I'm not quite sure...

Just a point of clarification.

Yes it does, whether the manga came out before the anime or vice-versa. This thread is about the differences between adaptations.

That's the problem. The manga was started before the movie was made, and the movie was made while the manga was not completed. Also, Miyazaki has stated that he doesn't want people compairing the manga to the movie, as they should be considered two seperate entities.

But if I were to compare the movie to the book, it's basically the first book of the Viz boxed set (in 4 volumes), with the God Warrior thrown in.

That's the problem. The manga was started before the movie was made, and the movie was made while the manga was not completed. Also, Miyazaki has stated that he doesn't want people compairing the manga to the movie, as they should be considered two seperate entities.

Well, you don't have to compare Miyazaki's works if he doesn't want you to. Just compare whatever you've seen and read.

• 4 months later...

manga01.jpg

Figure 17: Tsubasa & Hikaru ( フィギュア17つばさ&ヒカル )

by Guy Nakahira

Based on the anime series by GENCO & OLM

Media Works, 2001-2002

ADV Manga, 2004

Rated ALL (Should be 7+ for some violence and mature situations).

If you've seen the anime, you're not missing a lot on this manga adaptation. Very few changes to the original story have been made. The most noticeable is how Tsubasa first becomes Figure 17.

And while most manga versions tend to be more violent than their anime counterparts, Figure 17 is the complete opposite. As a matter of fact, it's WAY too toned down. There are fights, but you don't see Figure 17 kill a Magure. You just see her do a punch and the next frame is just a sound effect.

On the bright side, the manga has an omake section consisting of 4- or 5-panel skits featuring the cast of the series.