HEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPP! Seriously though I have a few

Kaminoan

Hello All,

I am new to these forums. I am a Lego customizer and have been expanding my skills and trying to learn some new ones. I was directed here because of the talent and experience of the members. So I am going to jump into my current customizing issues. I recently purchased an airbrush off of e-bay, used of course. It is a Model Masters Professional brush that has single action, double action, and fixed double action, but I don't really know what this means. The instructions tell me how to set the brush to each of these settings, but they don't tell me the difference between them. Can anyone explain? Also I have a lot of model paint from my old days of plastic airplane models. Can I use this type of paint, it is all Testors paint? Do I need to dilute this paint? How do I do that? I understand I am asking a ton of questions, if anyone can direct me to a resource where I can find most of the answers, I will happily dig them up. I just wasn't able to find much with my initial searches, can you help me?

Thanks

Jared

ok here is the differences. a single action airbrush, which lets you control only the flow of air- in effect, it has an on off switch. in order to vary the density of paint, you would have to vary the distance between the air brush and the support. On the whole, this type of air brush is probably not good if you want a fine work on a relatively small scale. the double action is slightly more sofisticated the flow of medium and air is again controlled by a single lever, but the first part lever's travel starts the air flowing and the next stage lets the medium into the air stream. this mean that you can begin each pass of the airbrush gradually, and finish spraying the medium before moving the air brush away. however, the ratio of medium to air cannot be varied while the air brush is in use, though some models allow you to pre-set a specific ratio before you begin to spray. the independent double action design of air brush gives far greater control and is the type favored by professionals.in this design, the lever is pressed down to allow air to flow, and pulled back to regulate the amount of medium drawn into the air stream.

• 3 weeks later...

AMEN to that!!! I have a single and the dual action and I will never use my single again. You almost have to be a pro to use the single action because it requires you to know your paints, the coats they require, distances, and you have to have a good hand to make the single action work for you. As far as other pointers, get a compressor with a steady 30psi of air pressure + and you'll be alright.