Understanding Designer's Notes

djivaldi7

Pursuing ambitious scratchbuild endeavor for SK's brilliant prototype & concept designs, but not sure what some of the accessory items are... In this first set of images on the VF-1SOL are these  mini-missiles?  Or something else?  And the expanding/retracting vanes on the shoulder units?

20240130_173440.jpg

20240130_173718.jpg

20240130_173709.jpg

Edited by djivaldi7
Misspelling

And 3rd example a hauntingly sexy VF-25 Armor variant...can't tell what the triple vanes are, the housing they spoke from, or the forward facing instruments or weapons in front ofvthe vane hub, and behind the cockpit.

Genius design, but struggling to understand what these "semi-canonical" accessories represent...help appreciated.

20240130_173208.jpg

Given how thin the parts appear in the first pic, I would say they aren't missiles (not enough room to contain them). In the third pic, they could be some kind of communications/ projection array or something, seeing as they have no barrels on them.

That's interesting.  Were there any Valkyrie-based projection units in Frontier or Delta?  M-II had the monstrously huge Minmay Attack stations which I've posted about before.   But I can't say I recognize any other projection tech on a Valkyrie.

1 hour ago, djivaldi7 said:

Pursuing ambitious scratchbuild endeavor for SK's brilliant prototype & concept designs, but not sure what some of the accessory items are... In this first set of images on the VF-1SOL are these  mini-missiles?  Or something else?  And the expanding/retracting vanes on the shoulder units?

20240130_173440.jpg

20240130_173718.jpg

20240130_173709.jpg

From what I remember, those are speaker pods

3 hours ago, djivaldi7 said:

Text descriptions (Japanese)

1st picture: Minmei Fold Projector

2nd picture: 3D (illegible) projector [left], Minmei Fold... [right - text cut off]

3rd picture: Minmei Projector

From what we've seen in various Macross shows, these appear to be 3D holographic projectors for the 'Minmei Attack'.

2nd example...

For the PC Games SDP1...are these attitude thrusters and an antenna?

It's unclear what they are.  I pulled out my copy of the book and there aren't any descriptive notes.  However, they are present on ALL variations Kawamore-san drew.

Therefore, they are either a) something the client asked for, or b) a design greeble that Kawamori-san was obsessing about.  The later makes a lot of sense, as Kawamori-san is very picky about differentiating the silhouette between various designs (Valkyries and otherwise).  So, I suspect they are something added to give it a different silhouette.  What are they?  I haven't seen the game it appears in, so I can only guess, but either antenna, or some kind of light (to help the player spot it on the game screen).

And 3rd example a hauntingly sexy VF-25 Armor variant...can't tell what the triple vanes are, the housing they spoke from, or the forward facing instruments or weapons in front ofvthe vane hub, and behind the cockpit.

Genius design, but struggling to understand what these "semi-canonical" accessories represent...help appreciated.

This particular greeble only appears on this rough draft.  I suspect that they are either additional sensor antenna (radar arrays) and/or some type of cooling system.  As Kawamori-san was very conscious of the power generation requirements for the Armour Pack and their related cooling systems—and has incorporated cooling mechanisms in other VFs released in the same period—I'm tempted to say that those fins are more likely giant heat sinks.

Nevertheless, Kawamori-san has a history of adding extraneous fin greebles to change the silhouette, and I think that's all that they are at this point of the design process (as they did't appear in subsequent iterative designs, I suspect he didn't have a plausible explanation for them, as well!)

1 minute ago, djivaldi7 said:

Presuming then from example#1 that those are each clusters of pods and the extending arms on the shoulder units are transmitters/signal boosters?  

It's possible.

Kawamori-san also seems to have a thing for halo-like forms projecting off the back of his mecha (not only in Macross, but a lot of other series).  So, those things may have just been a design itch that he just had to scratch.

Oh...example #1 considering translations, it's rather from the translation "fold projector" is more like the M-II Minmay Attack hologram and those are holographic lens clusters?  

Speaker pods weren't really a thing until Macross-7, right? So fold projection makes more sense.

18 minutes ago, djivaldi7 said:

Oh...example #1 considering translations, it's rather from the translation "fold projector" is more like the M-II Minmay Attack hologram and those are holographic lens clusters?  

Speaker pods weren't really a thing until Macross-7, right? So fold projection makes more sense.

Yes, something along those lines.  However, "Fold" probably isn't used in the same way as it came to be used in Macross Frontier.

And yes, Speaker Pods didn't exist until Macross 7.

17 minutes ago, djivaldi7 said:

The third example VF-25.... did the book give any hints in Jaoanese from the concept sketch progression? 

3 large Fins on each outboard engine pod → single fin on enlarged gun under fuselage → finished design (2 stubby fins on each outboard engine pod)

There are only the two rough design iterations in the "Macross Shoji Kawamori Designer's Notes" book.  The two iterations in Fighter, and then the two iterations in Battroid.

Given that the fin moves to the large (beam?) gun pod, it lends credence that it's a cooling fin.  A radome like greeble appears on the finished design, which suggests that the fins in the 1st image may be pulling double duty (radar-like sensor and cooling fin).

Edited by sketchley