[R.I.P] Ian Gibson

Old_Nash_II

5 hours ago, Old_Nash_II said:

https://2000ad.com/news/ian-gibson-1946-2023/

Thanks for yours most iconic arts

I read some of his stuff with Judge Dredd and loved the crazy look. Of course it was a few years after those stories originally came out, but it still had a very different feel and look than the American comics I was reading at the time. It had more of a Heavy Metal feel and look and in the late 80’s the American stuff was starting to get a bit darker, but not quite to that level 

I grew up reading "2000AD" here in the UK and among what was clearly an incredible talent pool of... er... art droids Gibsons was one of those that stood out. And then they teamed him up with Alan Moore for "The Ballad of Halo Jones" which I was far too young to grasp at the time - as was, I suspect, most of "2000AD"s readership then - but which of course is now rightly hailed as a classic. Yet another great of British comics who will be badly missed.

Edited by F-ZeroOne

3 hours ago, F-ZeroOne said:

I grew up reading "2000AD" here in the UK and among what was clearly an incredible talent pool of... er... art droids Gibsons was one of those that stood out. And then they teamed him up with Alan Moore for "The Ballad of Halo Jones" which I was far too young to grasp at the time - as was, I suspect, most of "2000AD"s readership then - but which of course is now rightly hailed as a classic. Yet another great of British comics who will be badly missed.

You’re lucky that it was available to you. It was very rare to see anything from 2000AD until almost the late 80’s. Oddly I think it gained a lot of popularity when Anthrax did the song I Am The Law. A lot of metal heads were requesting it in the comic shops around then

Yes, it was a time when comics books were still a major entertainment medium here. Well, we didn't have much else - there were only 3 TV channels (you had some mysterious thing called "cable") which at weekends were almost entirely given over to sport...

It puzzled me when newsagents sometimes got anthologies of "2000AD" strips from... I think... "Quality Comics" (?) and they were colourised strips from "2000AD" that I'd known in black and white. I didn't learn why these things existed until later. Just for those who may not be aware, one major difference between UK and US comics is that UK comics were typically printed weekly, with several different stories per issue. This meant that each individual comic character or strip only had at most five or six pages an issue. It still amazes me what script writers and artists like Gibson could pull off in that amount of space. Later, when licenced properties like "Transformers" or "G.I. Joe/Action Force" appeared, often they would reprint one US story and have an original UK story in the same issue. I think the British "Transformers" stories are fairly well known, but the UK "G.I. Joe/Action Force" ones are possibly a bit under-represented in coverage of the comics today.  

Sorry for going off on a bit of a tangent. Just wanted to give some background on the kind of cultural environment Gibson would have been working in.

• azrael locked this topic