Help Needed Playing VF-X on an NTSC-J PS2

baumgar

I just bought a Japanese PS2 (NTSC-J) and Macross VF-X - but I can't get past the game intro video. It just keeps playing the intro video on loop. The controller buttons work fine for getting to the game, but once the game intro video starts there is no response. The game was supposedly tested on PS1 before I bought it, but the seller has no advice for running it on a PS2 (which should be backward compatible?). I have tried both modes on the analog button on the controller, as well as changing the speed, and I confirmed the system will play NTSC-J PS2 games.

Does anyone have any possible pointers for me?

Its been forever since I sat down and played this..   TBH the intro was probably the best part so you might have lucked out.      2 things I remember from this.. 1.) if you S rank all missions you can play as Max DYRL Strike 1S on the final mission.    2nd I might be confusing with VFX-2 but there is a mission where you have to follow a ship that constantly shoots at you,  just dodge and be patient,  if you shoot at the ship you fail the mission.   At the time I couldn't understand any of the text or speech.. now I'm like DOH!

When you have 500 or more kills before the last stage you can fly a HYBRID VERSION of Max’s VF-1. In Battroid mode, the Body of Max’s TV VF-1J with the head of Max’s TV VF-1A. It wears Strike Pack because it’s a space mission.

On 10/9/2023 at 10:31 PM, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

2nd I might be confusing with VFX-2 but there is a mission where you have to follow a ship that constantly shoots at you,  just dodge and be patient,  if you shoot at the ship you fail the mission.

I believe that's mission 7: follow the enemy transport back to its home base.

... which sums up the biggest weakness of "Macross Digital Mission VF-X": there is a lot of 'fly to this location, do something, fly to that location...' and so on and so forth.  Thankfully, they got rid of that in the game's sequel "VF-X2".