Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

I'm looking for some new anime to watch and came across ADV Film's domestic release of Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi. Being a big fan of Gainax's work (Especially that wonderfully gigantic robot Gunbuster), I was wondering if this anime would be my cup of tea. It kind of looks like a comedy from the back of the DVD case, and if it is, that's ok. I like comedies, even though science-fiction anime seems to be my forte.

So those of you out there who have seen this let me know what you think of it. Just don't post any spoilers. Let me know if this thing is worth my $23 for the 1st volume with collectors' case.

Personally, I love the show. It's the standard nutso comedy from Gainax, but it plays a lot lighter on the insider jokes. It plays a few off a couple or so of anime genres, but it doesn't require specific knowledge like, say, FLCL. It seems pretty pointless in the beginning, but trust me, it eventually evens out and actually displays a bit of plot, even getting serious at the end. Then you've got everyone (main characters at least) speaking kansai-ben, which just makes it even funnier to me.

I love this show....

• 1 year later...

Finally started watching this today after a friend lent me the whole set.

Great stuff & really funny. Lots of homages to Macross as well as many other sci-fi anime and movies such as 2001 in episode # 3.

I'm not usually into comedy anime, but this had me chuckling away.

The only thing I'd recommend (as usual) is avoid the gawd awful dub. IMO the accents for the two main characters just make me cringe. Watch it in Japanese with the English subs, far superior.

Graham

Man, talk about resurrecting an old thread! I myself have since bought this series and yes, I do like it. As for the dub, I have never even bothered with it, as I like the series in its original language anyway. I really did love the 2001 gag as well as the robot parody episode using the actual background music from Evangelion. Great stuff!

One of the funnier anime series I've seen! I can't do the dub (rarely watch them with dubbed anyway) - their interpretation of southern Japanese accent as southern American accent really grates on the nerves.