Confused about Macross

Godzilla

Very technically, if you look at the katakana used to speel the name, it is "Minmei." However, other than that one sign early on, every other reference is "Minmay," and that seems to be the official romanization. Actually, this name confusion is one of the few things that can't be laid at HG's feet.

Edited by Pat Payne

as much as i love talking about minmay this almost qualifies as a newbie faq question - yes in the tv series both minmay and minmei were used, but eventually Minmay was the final romanization decided on - Macross albums, Mikimoto illustrations, etc all after the series refer to Minmay as Minmay. Robotech, however, uses Minmei - makes it easier for us fans to differentiate tween HG and Big West at least lol.

I am watching the series DVD#2. I see that on Minmay's room, her name is spelled Minmei. But the series keep saying Minmay. I thought Minmei was the robotech name for her.

I just rewatched that episode last weekend!

The funny part is her name is spelt "Minmei" on her door, but literally 30 seconds later on the letter from "OLION RECORDS" that Hikaru reads they spell her name "Lynn Minmay"!! It's clearly visible if you freeze frame it.

If you read that letter, you can see that the person responsible for composing the English for that letter has a very good grasp of English. I was quite impressed!

Oh, BTW, Macross is like the Best Show Ever!

Randy

According to Egan Loo, the "Minmei" spelling is mainly seen on personal items, such as the door sign. Hence it should be taken that "Minmay" is her stage name. Think "Bruce Li" and "Bruce Lee".

Oh, BTW, Lebhead -- that brings back a lot of memories.... well, three.

According to Egan Loo, the "Minmei" spelling is mainly seen on personal items, such as the door sign. Hence it should be taken that "Minmay" is her stage name. Think "Bruce Li" and "Bruce Lee".

That sounds quite reasonable. Ah, I feel better now :)

I thought it's just a simple language problem.

She has Chinese strain right? In Chinese her name should be "Lin Ming Mei", Lin is family name. the same to Bruce "Li". In Chinese/Japanese/Asian market that's no problem, but to please the rest of world especially English market, most Asian artists/whatever stars change their name a little. So we got "Lynn Minmay" or Bruce "Lee" here!

I am watching the series DVD#2. I see that on Minmay's room, her name is spelled Minmei.  But the series keep saying Minmay.  I thought Minmei was the robotech name for her.

I just rewatched that episode last weekend!

The funny part is her name is spelt "Minmei" on her door, but literally 30 seconds later on the letter from "OLION RECORDS" that Hikaru reads they spell her name "Lynn Minmay"!! It's clearly visible if you freeze frame it.

If you read that letter, you can see that the person responsible for composing the English for that letter has a very good grasp of English. I was quite impressed!

Oh, BTW, Macross is like the Best Show Ever!

Randy

Actually, with few exceptions, large blocks of English in the series and movie are accomplished extremely well. Take a look, for instance, at the English(!) lyrics that Misa gives Minmay in DYRL. I've always been of the opinion that English is the official language of the Macross universe (since much of the written material that the characters interact with is in English such as Minmay's letter), but that they speak in Japanese for the convinience of the audience (like in "To Be or Not to Be" '83: "Ladies and gentlemen: In the interests of clarity and sanity, the rest of this film will not be in Polish...").

[edo] it's MinG-Mei [/edo]

:p

Nah, to do Edo you would have to include 5 paragraphs of disconected garbage explaining the primary strange point he would be trying to make. :lol:

I kind of miss that guy.