need help

tank

Getting your paint the correct consistency is a large part of it, wheteher diluting water based acrylic or just shaking the heck out of the paint jar for a while. Using good quality brushes is another large part. Sable hair works sooooo much better than nylon. Lastly... I find a final wash seems to blend the few brush lines remaining quite well. My painting looks like it was airbrushed but my color schemes look like I smoke to much mary jane :rolleyes::blink:

* thin your paint a little than normal.

* apply thin layer at a time.

* use a good brush.

* brush in one direction.

* use the right size for the right job (small brush for small job etc...)

i've hand painted 3 patlabor 1/60 and they look nice after following the rules above - application wise but color wise, i suck mixing color. fyi, i'm using those cheap testor brushes

Edited by dyowelb

I would lay down your base (your models most dominate color) coat using a rattle can of spray paint.

Its just too hard to get a smooth finish on a model using a brush and if you don;t have the means to get an airbrush the next best thing would be spray paint. The brushes would be great for details and smaller parts as was stated earlier.

in responce to your pm question about painting before assembly or after...

Different people do it different ways. Painting parts while on the spruce is easier in many ways as it's easier to prime front and back, easier to hold steady while you paint, and easier to reach parts/areas that are almost impossible to reach once the part is assembled. You wil still have to do a touch up after you assemble it to cover the spots where parts were attached to the spruce.

A problem I have encountered is that models painted before assembly can be structurally weaker if you do it wrong. Glue sticks best plastic to plastic. If you glue paint to paint parts often come apart. You can get around this by sanding paint/primer off the areas that glue will be applied to. I always recommend doing a dry fit [not using glue] to see how the parts go together and make sure they fit properly, before you actually assemble it with glue.