Panel lines

samuraid

How do you do panel lines? (marker, brush, etc.)

Should I mix with a little thinner?

I've tried with a brush and wiped off the access, but I ended up with a stains around the lines.

Any tips would be great - I'm just starting my ARII Hikaru Gerwalk.

Jeeze the hands are big on this thing...

Thanx.

I'm kind of new to panel line washes myself, but I'm finding it isn't as bad as I feared. I'm working on a Bandai Glaug right now. After doing tons of research, reading articles here and other places like Starship Modeler, it seemed that a diluted oil wash was the way to go. Start with thinner and add paint to it. When it is dark enough, apply it with a thin brush. Just dab it in the panel line or recess you want highlighted and caplilary action will do the rest. Let it dry for a little bit then wipe off the excess on the surface with a dry paper towel in the direction you want streaks. If you are having problem removing enough paint from the surface, put just a hint of thinner on the towel. It may look really dark when you first apply it, but after thoroughly drying, it will lighten up a little. If the results suck, get the towel really wet with thinner, wipe it all off and start again.

It takes practice to know what the right combination of thinner and paint is for your needs. I suggest buying some random model with engraved panel lines and giving it a shot. Destryoy that model instead of messing up your Valk.

Good luck to ya!