First Gunbuster Thread

Leave it to me to start the first Gunbuster thread on the new boards.

I was watching Gunbuster for the jillionth time today and saw this for the first time since I've owned this series. Look at the botton left of the image. Someone forgot to add Noriko's lower body.

And some other Gunbuster news. I've been reworking my site. Some pages are up, some are down. Time to get with it and make the Index look presentable. And I've added a few new pages to boot!

Let me know what you think.

Noriko Takaya

post-26-1061944160.gif

Damn, in my 10 years of being a Gunbuster fan, I didn't notice that one, either.

Right now, I'm taking up Dreamweaver class to brush up on my web skills. Like Noriko Takaya, I will be doing a complete revamp of my Gunbuster homepage. The new version should be out before Christmas.

Welcome to da new MW boards Noriko Takaya. We were wondering when you'd make it back, let's hope we're closer to a Gunbuster DVD (I'm keeping my fingers crossed but they're getting kinda sore.....one can only cross them so long). :ph34r:

Leave it to me to start the first Gunbuster thread on the new boards.

I was watching Gunbuster for the jillionth time today and saw this for the first time since I've owned this series. Look at the botton left of the image. Someone forgot to add Noriko's lower body.

And some other Gunbuster news. I've been reworking my site. Some pages are up, some are down. Time to get with it and make the Index look presentable. And I've added a few new pages to boot!

Let me know what you think.

Noriko Takaya

Is this just in the full animation cell or is this blooper in the actual animation (which usually crops off part of the artwork)?

Is this just in the full animation cell or is this blooper in the actual animation (which usually crops off part of the artwork)?

It's in the actual production. That's why I say when I was watching it I just happened to catch it. I've been a fan of the show since US Renditions first released it here in 1989 and I've never seen this until now.

Edited by Noriko Takaya

Is this series on DVD yet?  If not, is it coming anytime soon?  Going through Noriko's site made me real real interested in seeing this (^_^ ).

Nope. Supposedly Manga Entertainment is working on it, but since they're now in the process of being sold, who knows when or if it'll ever come out on DVD.

edit: grammar

Edited by JELEINEN

hello Noriko

can you give me some advice for the best book about gunbuster to own ? i  guess you have the storyboard book, how is it ?  :)

Unless you are a very diehard fan of the series, I do not recommend it to the casual fan. First and foremost, I AM probably the biggest fan of Gunbuster you will ever meet or talk to, and I can tell you I was disappointed by the set. The box art for the books is rather nice, but it is not held together with glue or tape, so it comes apart. There are also 8 cards in the set which include pictures of concept art from the series. These are very nice. But for $80.00... You might want to go over to Mandarake or eBay to find a used copy.

As for the other books, if you can find them, grab them. They are great. I highly recommend the video comics if you can find them as well as any of the others.

As for the other question regarding a release date: Who knows? Keith What's-His-Face at Manga has been lying to every Gunbuster fan by stating a release for the last 4 or 5 years since the DVD format came out, and no one believes him any longer. I am perfectly happy with my official Japanese copies now that I have a region free DVD player and if I need to see subtitles I just pop in my old US Renditions tapes.

By the way, Valkyrie, if you're out there, I would really like a transcript of those 2 additional science lessons included with the anniversary laserdisc set. Pretty please?

Edited by Noriko Takaya

How many science lessons were there? I heard that the US Renditions videos left some out. Or were more created for a Japanese LD release? I love this series but got tired of waiting for a domestic DVD release and eventually bought a bootleg off eBay. The subtitles are passable.

How many science lessons were there? I heard that the US Renditions videos left some out. Or were more created for a Japanese LD release? I love this series but got tired of waiting for a domestic DVD release and eventually bought a bootleg off eBay. The subtitles are passable.

I know there was one or two added for the anniversary LD release. I've got them on tape somewhere unsubbed. Love the Sailor Moon one.

...eventually bought a bootleg off eBay. The subtitles are passable.

Surely you jest? You are the first person I've heard that has said that those horrific subtitles are passable. You do realize they call Admiral Takaya's ship the Exelion, and not the Luxion as it should be. :p

There were two additional science lessons made for the Okaerinasai boxed set laserdiscs. They are titled roughly: Spacecraft History and The True Solar System. This last one is the Sailor Moon parody.

Edited by Noriko Takaya

Translations are available here

http://plaza.harmonix.ne.jp/~onizuka/literal/

The extra science lessons are at the beginning of volume 3.

The science lessons are one of my favorite parts about Gunbuster. I love how they integrated real physics with all kinds of other physics principles that they made up. And to the layman, it'd be impossible to distinguish fact from fiction!

A good example, from the first science lesson:

Noriko: Space is not a vacuum, it's an ether field. And the temperature is not absolute zero, but three degrees kelvin due to black body radiation.

(or something like that... I'm writing from memory, LOL. And USR completely screwed up the translations, of course)

Now, that 3 degrees kelvin bit, that's true. It's been proven.

The ether space theory, on the other hand, is crap. It's based on an old theory from the early 1900's. Back then, scientists figured that for light to travel from the sun to the earth, it must have a medium to propogate through. Just like sound needs an atmosphere in order to travel. So they figured space can't be a vacuum. There must be something in it. They didn't know what it was though. So they gave it an arbitrary name, ether.

This was disproven decades ago. Light can indeed propgate through a vacuum.

And so, I thought it was pretty funny that they took a century old disproven theory, declared it to be true, and based most of Gunbuster's physics around it :)

Edited by Valkyrie

• 11 months later...

This week, Bandai Visual will release a new DVD titled Gunbuster Perfect Guide. The disc includes interviews with director Hideaki Anno, music composer Kouhei Tanaka, and voice actresses Noriko Hidaka (Noriko), Rei Sakuma (Kazumi) and Maria Kawamura (Jung).

The DVD will also include a 160-page book with production notes and an illustration gallery.

http://www.bandaivisual.co.jp/dbeat/

This week, Bandai Visual will release a new DVD titled Gunbuster Perfect Guide. The disc includes interviews with director Hideaki Anno, music composer Kouhei Tanaka, and voice actresses Noriko Hidaka (Noriko), Rei Sakuma (Kazumi) and Maria Kawamura (Jung).

The DVD will also include a 160-page book with production notes and an illustration gallery.

http://www.bandaivisual.co.jp/dbeat/

Wooo.... Where can I get this baby? Damn, what must we do to get the Gunbuster license out of Mangle's hands and into Bandia America's?????

Thanks but I usually buy from them as a last resort if I can't find a cheaper place. I honestly spend too much money on that site. My last purchase order wracked up to an astounding $455 USD not including shipping charges. :blink: The Nausicaa set was worth it tho.

I posted about the Making of Gunbuster DVD/Book a month and 1/2 ago. Anybody care to search? Nooooooo <_< And there is a link to a 20% off reservation.

I've already got mine on pre-order. As soon as I get it, I will be trying to get images of the book on my site as soon as I can get around to it. I'll also be taking screen captures. If the DVD is worth it, I'll probably give it its own page. If you haven't seen the cover to this set yet, a image is at the bottom. And if it is any consolation to those of you out there who are wary of paying full price for a region 2 disc, I'm sure that a bootleg will be following soon enough.

As for halfan's remark, hey bud, this is a Gunbuster thread. And it is the first one. So maybe you should have done a little searching yourself.

Wooo.... Where can I get this baby? Damn, what must we do to get the Gunbuster license out of Mangle's hands and into Bandia America's?????

You know, I have asked Bandai America that same question. As of yet, the only answer I have received from them is that they are looking into it. One can only hope...

post-26-1093240185.gif

Edited by Noriko Takaya

You know, I have asked Bandai America that same question. As of yet, the only answer I have received from them is that they are looking into it. One can only hope...

They are? I sure hope so...I want my Gunbuster.

As for halfan's remark, hey bud, this is a Gunbuster thread. And it is the first one. So maybe you should have done a little searching yourself.

This is by no means an official thread. If it was, Gunbuster 2's announcement should have been posted here. Same thing with Studio Half Eye's kit, the Noriko figure, and my original post about the making of DVD. Were any of these? No.

Curious to hear about all the contents once it's released. I doubt I'll pick it up anytime soon.

They are? I sure hope so...I want my Gunbuster.

Same here: I've been big Gunbuster fan since the very first episodes of the OAV released by USR :)