MechMod for HL

ZorClone

thought some of you HL players on the boards might be interested to see this.. http://www.mechmod.com/ they just posted some ingame pics of the mod in action, including their VF-1J. Looks pretty neat IMO, and might have fun gameplay!

MechMod is a Half-Life based modification, and it's all about a bunch of Mech units (similar to Gundam / Macross series) flying around a map in a multiplayer based environment, firing rapid fire gun blasts and chargeable higher damage blasts as well. We also have a melee system - and we are working on making this similar to the Gundam series' beam saber style alongwith an extensive and advanced gameplay plan. To conclude, we want the game to be "Fast-Paced" as we believe those are a bigger hit with fans rather than slower games - and besides, it's more fun as well! :) After a couple of primary releases, we will eventually shift to the Half-Life 2 engine (whenever it releases).

I would be really suprised to see any sort of transforming mecha in a game using the Half-Life engine. The engine is based off of the Quake II engine, which used keyframe animation for the models, but a big difference with the HL engine is that it uses a psudeo-skeletal system for the models, and that skeketon cannot be transformed. Hence, that is why Quake II player models ranged from Transforming robots to disenbodied hands, to Giant Spiders. Half Life player models are limited to bipeds, 2 arms, 2 legs, 1 head.

I would be really suprised to see any sort of transforming mecha in a game using the Half-Life engine. The engine is based off of the Quake II engine, which used keyframe animation for the models, but a big difference with the HL engine is that it uses a psudeo-skeletal system for the models, and that skeketon cannot be transformed. Hence, that is why Quake II player models ranged from Transforming robots to disenbodied hands, to Giant Spiders. Half Life player models are limited to bipeds, 2 arms, 2 legs, 1 head.

HL uses a modified form of the Quake I engine last time I checked.

Also, you're completely wrong about HL being limited to bipeds. You can do whatever the heck you want to. There's been a racing mod and all.

Years back before I "saw the light" while I was stuck in that awful mess that is rowboat-tech, I had a New Gen / MOSPEADA project started for HL. I had the motorcyle mode of the ride armor semi-functioning, but the HL code is just a mess and kept frustrating the heck out of me. In addition, I had discovered the true originals, mainly Macross, and said "screw this americanized crap". Add to that a lack of support from basically anyone around that time, and you pretty much see why the project was shut down.

I plan on eventually doing another first/third person MOSPEADA game, but not for a long time.

Oh, and BTW - my RT/MOSPEADA mod for HL was called "Invasion" (Originally "RT: Invasion" but then changed) - so it looks like that new console rt game stole my title... :p

Half-Life does indeed use a modified (heavily) Quake I engine, NOT Quake II.

I once had a YF-19 model for Q2. No idea where I got it. It was neat...

And wow, Fokker, you were the head of that mod?

I had checked the site out many times looking for new info back when I was a Tech-Head...(cringe).

Edited by mbs357

And wow, Fokker, you were the head of that mod?

I had checked the site out many times looking for new info back when I was a Tech-Head...(cringe).

Heck, I was almost the only one working one the project, part of the reason it was shut down. The only support I had was from a guy called Crash in Italy, who did the player models and skins, and then later from McGibs, who was doing textures and skins right before it got canned.

Still, this may prove interesting... I know there was a TF TC for an older FPS - I believe it was Q2.

I had the link to a really promising sounding Gundam mod for Quake 3 Arena.

Alas, going through my links of mods, I cannot find it.*

I also have a Gundam mod link for HL...dunno about that one.

*Edit: Found it: http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~gundamuniverse/main.html

No downloads as of yet, but nice looking models, and some good sounding gameplay explinations.

Edited by mbs357

Quake 2 Transformers was actually a pretty good mod - well realised. You could transform, roll around and crash into things... The weapons were mainly the same with a few differences, but used models of Transformers guns. The best SSG bar none.

HL uses a modified form of the Quake I engine last time I checked.

Also, you're completely wrong about HL being limited to bipeds. You can do whatever the heck you want to. There's been a racing mod and all.

Years back before I "saw the light" while I was stuck in that awful mess that is rowboat-tech, I had a New Gen / MOSPEADA project started for HL. I had the motorcyle mode of the ride armor semi-functioning, but the HL code is just a mess and kept frustrating the heck out of me. In addition, I had discovered the true originals, mainly Macross, and said "screw this americanized crap". Add to that a lack of support from basically anyone around that time, and you pretty much see why the project was shut down.

I plan on eventually doing another first/third person MOSPEADA game, but not for a long time.

Oh, and BTW - my RT/MOSPEADA mod for HL was called "Invasion" (Originally "RT: Invasion" but then changed) - so it looks like that new console rt game stole my title... :p

Actually I think we talked back then. I had a RT:New Gen/Mospeada mod for HL and a website up and I think we emailed each other a few times.

LOL. We both said screw it.