VF-1 Squadron Paint Schemes

VF-1A Grunt

Over in the Toys forum, there's a discussion from a couple years ago entitled, "Top 5 most wanted VF-1 paint Scheme!" I thought about adding to that one, but I figured these were more general questions related to the series and the technical background behind it.

I'm particularly interested in the various VF-1 squadron paint schemes depicted in the Master File books, many of which were included in this post from that old discussion:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=40509&p=1095706

Some of the paint schemes replicate ones from the SDFM series, including Roy, Hikaru, Max, Milia, and Kakizaki's personal aircraft, Alaska Base, and the Angel Birds. I'm curious what the origin is of the other schemes. Were they developed with "official" approval, or are they essentially fan works? Are any of the squadrons referenced in Macross literature? I unfortunately can't read (or speak much) Japanese, so I don't know all the background info included in the captions.

Were the additional schemes that Hasegawa offered in their model lines (5 Grand, Sonic Birds, Black Aces, Low Visibility) created by them, or are they "official" schemes that Hasegawa produced with permission? I'm not sure when the last time was that Hasegawa released a new VF-1 model, but it would be great to see them produce some more of these schemes, especially the Alaska Base and Cavaliers, since those were featured in SDFM. I hope they're not done with SDFM / DYRL models. On a side note, are Hasegawa's Macross models regular catalog items (other than the limited run schemes, of course)? I.e. do they continue to produce them, or were they limited production?

Is anyone here willing to produce custom decals based on some of the Master File schemes? Some of them are pretty interesting, and I'd love to model a few of them, but I don't have the skills to design decal artwork myself. A few of the schemes could probably be done if the large base code letters on the tails were available (I've been looking through USAF and USN decals trying to find some that match).

There may not be any real answers to these questions, but I like the idea of all these schemes adding more history and variety to the U.N. forces portrayed in the series. Sorry for all the questions in one post, but I've been staring at all these interesting squadron schemes since I got my first Master File book and was hoping some folks here might have more insight into them. Thanks!

Dave

You can do the decals yourself pretty easily.

Get yourself a cheap Canon PIXMA MG5420 inkjet printer (under 70USD) that prints to 9600dpi, some decal paper (tons of options on the net) and Adobe Illustrator or any other Vector program (I use Flexisign as I do graphics on my units weapons and military vehicles on the side - I rock the best looking kit in the sandbox!) and have a play.

Its pretty easy and the trace programs are getting pretty clever these days to save a ton of work.

You want Vector based images as they are mathematical images (lines from point A to point B with colour fills) and not pots like bitmaps and jpegs so there is no loss of info and resolution when you shrink or expand the image. You could draw the plans to an aircraft carrier in Vector and shrink it to the size of a coin and still have the same sized file and info stored on it with no loss of detail.

You think you dont have the skills but you'd be surprised how easy it is once you try it and watch a vid or two on youtube about creating vector art.

Edited by NZEOD

You can print most colours BUT white so you use a white gloss background painted on the model if you need that colour.

For all the oddball Hasegawa kits try Amazon. You can get pretty much all of them there.

You think you dont have the skills but you'd be surprised how easy it is once you try it and watch a vid or two on youtube about creating vector art.

Thanks for the rundown, I'll give it a shot. I can obviously pull the letter dimensions off the models, so that does seem doable. I'm waiting for the second VF-1 Master File volume, then I'll see if I can scan some of the schemes at higher resolution to use for tracing.

For all the oddball Hasegawa kits try Amazon. You can get pretty much all of them there.

I've already ordered most of the limited edition ones from Amazon. I'm more curious about the standard kits - the VF-1 fighter, Gerwalk, and Battroid, plus their Super variants - and whether those are still in production. I.e., do I need to stock up on them because the supply is finite, or does Hasegawa continue to produce them?

I think they treat the Master File books as fan works.

Thanks, that's helpful to know. I'm guessing that Hasegawa came up with those limited edition schemes on their models, and then the Master Files included them.

One nice thing about the Hasegawa squadron schemes is that they each seem to include a full color and low visibility scheme in the decals, so you can turn a plain kit into one of these with the second set of decals (although you need the control panel decal from the second kit).

Thanks for the replies!

There is always the option I use... F/A-18 and E/A-18 squadron decals

For sizing, just load the masterfile image into Illustrator and then scale it and trace over the top.

Edited by NZEOD

I would not label the Master Files as fan fiction. Despite the caveat that they are not part of the "official setting" (not "canon" as us westerners say), the Master Files are nonetheless official Macross products and as such, are authorized merchandise officially part of the Macross catalog. Thus they are above any fan-made art posted online (like what I - or other amateur fans - might build and share online), fan fiction written by fans or any of the Macross doujinshi that's been created.

Doesn't make that big of a difference to most folks, but the books do need to be categorized separately. In some rare instances, elements from dojinshi books like Sky Angels have found their way into the official setting via publications like the Macross Chronicle (particular pieces of trivia for the SF-3A Lancer II come to mind). So the distinction can be important.

• 2 weeks later...

Mr March, thanks for the feedback on the Master Files. I just got my copy of the SDF-1 Macross VF-1 Squadrons Master File today. It's a fantastic collection of images and drawings - I only wish I could read Japanese (I may have to ask my poor mother to translate a few hits of it next time we visit). I really like the amount of thought and imagination that went into the squadron schemes and the VF-1 variations. I especially like the reconnaissance VF-1As and the armed VF-1Ds, which look like some sort of strike configuration (if I could read the captions) like I mentioned in NZEOD's other thread.

This has been said before, but the images of the spider bugs recovering the drifting Valkyries after the Pluto fold are really great and fill in a missing (if minor) part of the story. The images of the three Vermillion Platoon fighters with their added Skull markings are interesting too, I may have missed this in the series, or they added it just for this book, but I never caught on to the idea that Hikaru's team was supposed to be part of Skull Squadron. All the images of the fighters in atmospheric flight, including carrying gravity bombs and other ordnance, are really fantastic, and just the kind of thing that I hope to model eventually.

On a modeling note, I recently received my Hasegawa Sonic Birds and low visibility fighter kits from Amazon (had to immediately order another low viz!). The two sets of decals they include - one high and one low(er) viz scheme - offer great possibilities for either modeling a second fighter or even building a Battroid in one of those schemes. A Sonic Birds Battroid would look pretty interesting with the black area around the cockpit in the center of the Battroid chest.

One minor complaint about this Master File volume is that, as I mentioned above, it's unclear how the brown CF VF-1As fit into this squadron concept. There are several squadron paint schemes that incorporate the basic colors with added tail markings, but there's really only one photo at the beginning of the book that appears to show several CF fighters (and an Angel Bird) in formation with the SDF in space. Maybe it's addressed in the text, but I'd love to know how they fit into this concept. As I mentioned previously, I'm probably just overthinking what is really just an effort to come up with interesting paint schemes and compile them in this awesome book. Can't wait to get VF-1 Volume 2!