Anita Mui Passes away

Anita Mui passed away 2 days ago at the age of 40. :(:( She died of cervical cancer. She was famous for her singing and acting performances. Those of you not too familiar with the HK movie scene, She was in the following films: Legend of the Drunken Master, Rich and Famous, Tragic Hero, My father is a Hero, The Heroic Trio, The Moon Warriors and Rumble in the Bronx to name a few of her films. She'll be missed. :(

Edited by Golden Arms

Her death is a real tradgedy. Her cervical cancer was diagnosed long time ago and could have definitely been operated on. But she really wanted kids and had a love interest. That love interest eventualy dumped her and by that time the cancer had spread too far.

Although they may not be famous in the western world, they are HUGE and will always be, in the world, wherever Cantonese is spoken.

If anyone were to come across a list of singers who are really good in what they do and notice they can also act very well, Leslie and Anita will be on that list.

Leslie Cheung, Alan Tam and Anita Mui sort of competed against each other and rose to fame in their individual careers during the mid 80s and early 90s. Three of them were well regarded as serious examples for the aspiring new generations of Hong Kong's acting and singing talents to be versatile and creative in their field. One can also really see the emphasis of their versatility in the many concert performances they held. It's a sad fact now that Alan is the only one left alive to do that job.

Leslie commited suicide last year (April 2003) during the beginning of the SARS epidemic. But at least he went after the Chinese New Year celebration. If only Anita got to celebrate her's this year. I'm sure she would have been happier.

These are some of the few true modern artists that have really suffered for their arts. We used to take them for granted because they don't bitch too much about it.

Good bye Anita and Leslie. Thanks alot for giving me a good time.

Didn't she star with Jet Li a couple of times? I remember her playing Li's mother in some film I can't recall.

She played a cop in Jet's movie My father is a Hero. if you are referring to the Legend of Fong Sai Yuk, you have her confused with another actress.

That is very sad news :(

I've always loved seeing her with Jacky Chan. She a brilliant performer. She will be missed.

'Instant shining is not eternity. Show business is a hard life. I wonder how many people will remember me after I leave the business for good. My hope is that when they feel bored and look at the stars in the sky, people will think of my name.”

~ Anita Mui

Edited by Omni Existence

Didn't she star with Jet Li a couple of times? I remember her playing Li's mother in some film I can't recall.

You may be thinking of Drunken Master II, where she played Jackie Chan's stepmother.

I remember her in that movie. :(

Very sad to see such a talented actress pass away at such a young age. :(