Reign

ewilen

I'm pretty far behind the curve anime-wise these days, so I had no idea this existed until I wandered into an episode during Adult Swim and thought, "What are all these freaky superhero guys doing reenacting the Alexander saga? And why do they look like they stepped out of Aeon Flux?"

Must say I'm enjoying it. A fascinating reimagining of the story of Alexander the Great. I'm a big fan of Peter Chung's work on Aeon, and I think the dubbing is quite good. In fact, I'm wondering if this might have been conceived as a joint US/Japan release from the start. Also, the overall similarity in feel to Aeon Flux extends beyond the graphic style. Were P. Chung or any of the other Aeon Flux staff also responsible for the story/script in any way?

I believe he was just the Character Designer and Art Director. It was based off a Japanese novel, as I recall...

And frankly, I think it's crap. I only watched a few episodes, but I can't stand Peter Chung's work, frankly... so I don't much like it. Ick.

Yes, the art is quite hideous. Its almost like the animation directors decided to make it as UGLY as they could. LOL.

I've only seen the previews, but yah. Dont look too diggin.

-BEN-MAN-

The story seemed interesting, but I couldn't get past the character designs. The artwork this guy designs is hideous to me. But to each their own.

Color me surprised. To me, P. Chung is a real original. I love his spindly, pointy character designs, reminiscent of Gothic architecture and armor, and the way people in combat coil and move. I also like the freaky mystical elements of the Reign/Alexander story--which either by accident or because of Chung's treatment remind me of the freaky supernatural stuff in the longer Aeon cartoons. (Aeon first appeared in a series of very short pieces just a few minutes long in which she rarely if ever spoke; later, she was featured in roughly half-hour shows with deeper plots and dialogue.)

Color me surprised. To me, P. Chung is a real original. I love his spindly, pointy character designs, reminiscent of Gothic architecture and armor, and the way people in combat coil and move. I also like the freaky mystical elements of the Reign/Alexander story--which either by accident or because of Chung's treatment remind me of the freaky supernatural stuff in the longer Aeon cartoons. (Aeon first appeared in a series of very short pieces just a few minutes long in which she rarely if ever spoke; later, she was featured in roughly half-hour shows with deeper plots and dialogue.)

yeah. i think i dug the old Liquid TV shorts more than the Tv series.

While I am not overly fond of the charactor design, I think the thing that turns me off the most about P Chung's style is his coloring technique. I will give Reign props for being a good idea though. Ahhhh if only Kawamori was revisioning the Alexander legend, a ancient war fought with horses that transform in to jets :rolleyes::lol: