Need help...

Hikuro

I know this isn't forum related really, but what I'm trying to do is figure out how to work my Nero Express 6 DVD burner...

What I'm trying to do is take my sailormoon episodes I downloaded over the weekend and put them into my DVD blanks I just bought yesterday (Sorta my xmas present), but this thing is sorta confusing to figure out...I tried this DVD-Video but it wont reconize the movies at all...any suggestions?

your best bet is try a hardware dedicated forum such as anadtech, sharky extreme, etc.

have you tried reading the manual for the software that came with your writer? or the help file?

seems you are asking 2 questions - how to burn files and how to view dvd movies

I know this isn't forum related really, but what I'm trying to do is figure out how to work my Nero Express 6 DVD burner...

What I'm trying to do is take my sailormoon episodes I downloaded over the weekend and put them into my DVD blanks I just bought yesterday (Sorta my xmas present), but this thing is sorta confusing to figure out...I tried this DVD-Video but it wont reconize the movies at all...any suggestions?

Okay, don't be offended, but I was trying to teach my best friend to do something similar, and the more I assumed he knew, the more dissapointed I was. So I'm going to explain it like you know nothing, okay (but I am going to assume that you have a DVD burner and not trying to burn DVDs with a CD burned like my brother did).

First thing first... DVDs basically used MPEG-2 format. This is actually different than the MPEG-1 format that VCDs use, or the *.mpg files you find sometimes on the internet. If the video on your hard drive isn't an MPEG-2, you need to convert it.

Okay, second, you have to know if your DVD burner does DVD+ or DVD-, and make sure that you have the right kind of blank DVDs.

Thirdly, Nero is great for burning DVDs that have been backed up using a program like DVD Shrink, but I don't actually reccomend using Nero to burn a DVD from video files. I read somewhere that Nero burns DVD in a kind of UDF format that's not compatible with a lot of DVD players. When I want to burn a DVD from an MPEG-2 video file, I tend to use Click to DVD.

Finally, even if you got everything else perfect, your player still might not like it. For example, a lot of the relatively inexpensive DVD writers on the market just burn DVD+. Your DVD player, however, may only like DVD-, or no burned DVDs at all. (Both DVD+ and DVD- burned DVDs do play on the Xbox or the PS2, if burned properly.)

If you need more help, try DVDRHelp.com.

Your right in assuming I know nothing on DVD burning, just this morning I didn't know about the +/- bit at all.

Hmmm as for knowing what it is, my burner says "DVD+R/Writer" ....I don't think that helps much but I'm not sure really.

One the help menu it said if it's an MPEG file or what not, I need to use a DVD authoring tool...I'm looking at Author tools, but to be honest, I don't know where to begin...the help menu is so vague really on what I need to do...and the examples are so different from the actual product that it digusts me a bit.

For having the right dvd's, all I know is I spent 25 bucks on a set of 15 what seemed to be your run of the mill DVD blanks...ugh can't even find them right now to even say what brand they are...just it's one of those Maxell or something like that...

Really I got no idea what I'm doing...but I'm trying since lastnight to figure it out and man is this tricky as hell for a newbie like myself....

if youre trying to burn any video file you got off the net, and you dont care about it playing on a "real" dvd player her's whatcha need:

dvd burner

burning software that supports data dvd projects

blank dvd's

all ya do is make a dvd-data project and add the files.

want to watch them on your tv? so did i, thats why i got a video card with tv-out.

voila, now youre cooking with gas... :D

Your right in assuming I know nothing on DVD burning, just this morning I didn't know about the +/- bit at all.

Hmmm as for knowing what it is, my burner says "DVD+R/Writer" ....I don't think that helps much but I'm not sure really.

One the help menu it said if it's an MPEG file or what not, I need to use a DVD authoring tool...I'm looking at Author tools, but to be honest, I don't know where to begin...the help menu is so vague really on what I need to do...and the examples are so different from the actual product that it digusts me a bit.

For having the right dvd's, all I know is I spent 25 bucks on a set of 15 what seemed to be your run of the mill DVD blanks...ugh can't even find them right now to even say what brand they are...just it's one of those Maxell or something like that...

Really I got no idea what I'm doing...but I'm trying since lastnight to figure it out and man is this tricky as hell for a newbie like myself....

On the package your DVDs came in... actually, on the surface of the disc itself, it should say either "DVD-R" or "DVD+R." Now, it sounds like your burner is a DVD+ burner. If the DVDs you bought say "DVD-R," then you actually bought the wrong kind.

Remember also, just because you have an mpg file on your computer, doesn't mean that it's an MPEG-2 (tricky, because both MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 files share the same .mpg extention). Your burner probably came with some kind of software, right? I know mine came with DVGate Plus, and Click to DVD. DVGate Plus can turn avi and MPEG-1 files into MPEG-2. If you're starting with some other video file, you might need some other software. It's a pain sometimes to have to re-encode the video twice, but TGMPEGEnc is free and useful, despite it's funny name. TGMPEGEnc can turn most video files into MPEG-1, and then I use DVGate to turn the MPEG-1 into an MPEG-2.

Your help file was right about you needing an authoring tool, but to be perfectly honest, while Nero kicks ass for CD burning, it's not as useful for DVD burning. My burner came with Click to DVD. It can be a little confusing at times, because everytime you use it it thinks it should be capturing video from an i.Link device, and you have to manual tell it that you're just using files on your computer. It's also slow as anything... but it does make good DVDs.

I installed this program which came with the computer called "Instant CD/DVD", it's what I need, and it'll do ASF, AVI and MPEG files. BUT when I try to put in Sailor Moon, or Flame of Recca, I get an illegal operation, and it shuts down. Yet when I put in one of the sample movies the program came with, no problems at all.....what in the HELL is it doing wrong grrrrrrrrr :angry:

Not too mention I tried to use that TGMPEGEnce thingy and it wont accept any of the files I try to put in it...just don't know what in the hell to do right now :'(

Edited by Hikuro