Cleaning Yamato Valks

Sandman

So the oxidation process cannot be stopped. Thanks for the input

Well, it depends.

Keep your toys out of direct sunlight. When you are storing them, be sure it's in a dark place. I use a black plastic storage bin.

If you smoke, wash your hands before handling the plastic. And DO NOT smoke anywhere around your toys.

Take these steps, and it should help prevent oxidation. Keep in mind, there are thousands of different plastics used throughout the years. Different plastics will oxidize for different reasons. But if you follow the tips above, you will defiantly increase the lifespan of your toys.

Once the oxidation has started, there's nothing you can do to "fix" it. But, if you follow the steps above, it usually won't turn any more yellow than it is now. Usually, but not always. Again, different plastics...

Hope this helps a bit. Sorry this happened to your fighter.

Oyxygen is the 2nd-strongest "yellower" of plastic. That is why there's so many "never removed from box, kept in a dark closet" things that still yellow. Because they weren't sealed air-tight. (that really is your only complete defense)

Some plastics react more to light, some more to oxygen. But all react to both.

Older plastics have a naturally brown liquid called bromine bonded to the plastic as a fire retardant. UV reacts with the plastic releasing the bromine from its bond.

http://www.tested.com/news/why-your-old-super-Nintendo-looks-super-yellow/2505/

The plastic can be restored with a soak in peroxide and exposure to UV light for a few hours.A lot of before and after examples on this thread, mine with some old Star Saber parts are on post 207.

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=7003&page=21

The peroxide dip is temporary though. You're just breaking up the pigments in that exposed layer of plastic but you're also pitting/destabilizing the plastic itself. In the long run you'll make it more susceptible to yellowing.

As in, it's great if you want to do it to an older, heavily yellowed toy to get some more miles out of it, but it might not be worth it to do it a newer toy.

Edited by eugimon

The peroxide dip is temporary though. You're just breaking up the pigments in that exposed layer of plastic but you're also pitting/destabilizing the plastic itself. In the long run you'll make it more susceptible to yellowing.

As in, it's great if you want to do it to an older, heavily yellowed toy to get some more miles out of it, but it might not be worth it to do it a newer toy.

I can attest to the "more susceptible to yellowing" part. I have tried this process on my old 1/60 VF-1A V.1. Worked beautifully, but after 1 month, it went back to being yellow... and more yellow at that!

needs some sort of sealer (clear acrylic spray) to seal it in.

Clear acrylic spray might work as a prevention too... though not too sure abt that.