1/72 VF-25 Models

Tking22

SO I'm not much for the VF-25 design, but I would really like to get a 1/72 RVF-25 model, I'm a sucker for a green valk. Now I've heard mixed to mostly bad things about the DX Chogokin line, that and I refuse to pay that much for a valk design I'm not a huge fan of, but I've heard these 1/72 kits are pretty nice so I just have a few questions. First off are they painted, and do they look decent built out of the box? I know they come unassembled but do they require glue or are they snap together? How durable are they, are the transformations easy enough? And I guess lastly what do you think of them overall and do you recommend, oh and if you could post some nice shots if you've got em.

yes, they are snap together. But some parts would be better off glued.

and no, they do not look decent out of the box, unless you are good with decals.

and don't even think about transforming these guys often..they are not very solid.

you can check out dalong.net for a review, he shows the undecaled and decaled photos..(although they are in Korean.) you can find the review on the ETC category....

that's all I got for you XD

yes, they are snap together. But some parts would be better off glued.

and no, they do not look decent out of the box, unless you are good with decals.

and don't even think about transforming these guys often..they are not very solid.

you can check out dalong.net for a review, he shows the undecaled and decaled photos..(although they are in Korean.) you can find the review on the ETC category....

that's all I got for you XD

Thanks for the info, oh and by out of the box I meant with whatever decals it comes with applied, which after seeing the review on dalong's site means extensive decal work.

They look good but don't play with them like a toy and you should be fine.

I have the green lucifer kit and I don't plan on transforming it much. Knowing that it is transformable boosts the appeal of it though.

Transforming a painted toy or kit usually has the stress of knowing that if parts rub together you might chip the paint (ie transformers binaltech, the old 1/72 macross plus yf-21 by yamato, any custom painted yamato etc) whereas kits molded in plastic without being painted mean you can rest easy. So maybe in a strange way it all balances out. :p

I want to buy a good vf-25 toy but I am hoping they combine the good things about chunky munkey toys (sturdy and long lasting - 1/65 bandai chunky monkey vf-17 for instance) and good things about kits (better sculpt and more close to the cg anime) so I can have the best of both worlds. (this is the reason I like the yamato stuff since I never try to manhandle anything so I don't mind it being a bit delicate, but at the same time I'm too lazy to build stuff so I want a completed model with good enough looks to not look too much like a toy)

The CM Legios is an example of being too toylike and lacking detail but it's sturdy.

I want something that doesn't look too toylike like that, but isn't something you are scared to transform either.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

If you're used to building Hasegawa's Macross line, they suck.

If you're used to building Gunpla, then they're fair to good. I myself got so disgusted with my VF-25F that I reboxed it and threw it back on the shelf at around 75% completion. I only finished it because my wife was kind enough to get me a Tornado Messiah for Christmas, so I had to at least finish one of them.

Personally, for me, parts didn't fit well together, in fighter mode it looks like crap with big gaps and sagging parts, and the first time I tried to transform my kit the neck part snapped off.

I still have an Armored Messiah, and a Lucifer waiting to be built, and waiting is what they're going to do.

EDIT: If you haven't already seen it, mine is here.

Edited by Jefuemon

SO I'm not much for the VF-25 design, but I would really like to get a 1/72 RVF-25 model, I'm a sucker for a green valk. Now I've heard mixed to mostly bad things about the DX Chogokin line, that and I refuse to pay that much for a valk design I'm not a huge fan of, but I've heard these 1/72 kits are pretty nice so I just have a few questions. First off are they painted, and do they look decent built out of the box? I know they come unassembled but do they require glue or are they snap together? How durable are they, are the transformations easy enough? And I guess lastly what do you think of them overall and do you recommend, oh and if you could post some nice shots if you've got em.

Unless you're a fairly competent model builder, you will likely be disappointed with the kits. They require glue, paint, and some creative modeling skill to put together. Also, the transformability means that certain compromises had to be made, and being a model, it won't stand up to actually being transformed one tenth as well as the toy. If anything, they were meant to be built in a given mode and sturdily glued that way, save for a few key joints that allow for slight re-posing every once in a while.

I had one of the DX toys for a time, and I actually thought that it was okay, so long as you grasp that it's intrinsically complex design-wise, and don't try to mount all the armor junk onto it, you should be fine.