Stopping a non-primed model from flaking...

SpaceCowboy

So, I've always known that you need to prime models to prevent them from flaking, but I've never had first hand experience with it (since I generally prime). Well, you know how they say experience is the best teacher?...yeah...

So I have this Orguss Orgoid I've painted. I spray painted it with a white paint (not primer), and now the brown parts are flaking off with too much contact. I don't suppose there is any way to seal this after the fact? I think I'm pretty much screwed, but thought I'd ask.

future floor wax is a great sealer.

i hit my models with it after my basecoats are down. that way washes are easy to wipe off if i don't like them and i haven't damaged the paint underneath.

after the washe are in and highlights, i hit the model again with future. if you don't want a gloss or semi gloss finish that future gives, hit it with flat clear for the final spray.

I have a sealer, so maybe that will be enough. Here he is, before the tolls of flaking are taken upon him. I'm happy with him, but I don't consider myself a very good painter either. I did this without buying any paints...just used what i had on hand. I could have gotten better results if I had actually taken the time on it - but I just got a couple of the toys, so that got my Orguss fix in - this is more for work desk display.

And here is to show how Orguss is still on topic in a Macross forum. :p

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ptn/new.images/Veritech/FOAorguss.jpg

post-1266-129589447116_thumb.jpg

Looks good.

If you're just handling the model and it flakes off, well I hate to tell you this, but a topcoat of clear will not help. It's missing adhesion between the paint and the plastic surfaces. The only cure would be to start over. Remove all the paint. Clean it. Prime it well. Then repaint it.

Live and learn, wether we like it or not, [sometimes] it's the only way.

:(

So, I've always known that you need to prime models to prevent them from flaking, but I've never had first hand experience with it (since I generally prime). Well, you know how they say experience is the best teacher?...yeah...

So I have this Orguss Orgoid I've painted. I spray painted it with a white paint (not primer), and now the brown parts are flaking off with too much contact. I don't suppose there is any way to seal this after the fact? I think I'm pretty much screwed, but thought I'd ask.

There could be several causes for poor paint adhesion. What kind of paint are you using? If you're using hobby paint directly on styrene, you don't even need primer assuming that your plastic was either washed with mild detergent or rubbing alcohol.

Greasy fingers? Incompatible paint? Improperly mixed paint? Residue on the part surface? High humidity? These are just some of the potential causes, but as nightmare mentioned, no overcoat/sealant will help to fix flaking paint; the core problem needs to be assessed.

yeah, gotta have a clean model. even after one coat is down ya still gotta wear gloves to be 1000% sure.

flaking...my only experience was that i used too much solvent in my airbrush and to much distance away from the model. the paint was practically drying in the air before it fell on my model. it looked good at first but i could scrape it off with my finger/toothpick. it didn't come off in flakes, though

Oh well - I actually have put this model together before. It was the Olson special (blue/yellow) that one I did prime and I even sanded down the seams so you couldn't tell where two pieces joined. It actually looks nice. But - since it is a transformable model, the paint screwed with the rotation of the joints in some areas, so it is pretty much locked in robot mode. This one I was trying to avoid that by keeping joint areas free of paint (and freely rotating), but screwed up and just applied a white spray paint instead of a white primer. Like I said, no biggie, now that I got my 1/40 Orgoid toy.

There could be several causes for poor paint adhesion. What kind of paint are you using? If you're using hobby paint directly on styrene, you don't even need primer assuming that your plastic was either washed with mild detergent or rubbing alcohol.

Greasy fingers? Incompatible paint? Improperly mixed paint? Residue on the part surface? High humidity? These are just some of the potential causes, but as nightmare mentioned, no overcoat/sealant will help to fix flaking paint; the core problem needs to be assessed.

+1 for The Captain.

I've been making plastic models for well over 30 years and have NEVER primed one. Proper surface preparation is the key. I've used all sorts of paints from el cheapo $2 spray cans, automotive spray cans and purpose made hobby paints and have never had flaking.

I use etch primer on metal table top figures as they tend to get a bit knocked around during the game, in transit and from people who have to look with their fingers <_<

Interesting - yeah, I don't believe I washed it, but thought the lack of priming is what did it. Is water enough, or should I use hand detergent? I've washed models before, but only by running water over them, and always wondered how much it mattered.

If the plastic feels a little slick, that's left-over mold release. That left-over mold release will cause paint to not stick to the plastic. I usually just wipe the parts with rubbing alcohol before I paint.

Also, what kind of paints are you using? Some paints don't go well together.

Edited by Vifam7

So, this future seal stuff. I assume it can be found at your local hardware store?

Does it make your paint run?

I had a sealant that use to do that. Maybe I didn't put on a thick enough coat of paint or something.

Future is now sold as *Pledge "with Future shine"* It should be in hardware stores, but also definitely in stores like Wal-Mart, Target and some grocery stores too. It'll be in the aisle with the floor care stuff. You know, mops, brooms, etc. It's great stuff and easy to use. I can't believe no one's put up the Swanny's models link about Future. Use it, love it, live it...Future :D