Weapon painting advice

Jefuemon

So, right now I'm working on a Hasegawa Strike Valk, with the weapons set. Anybody know of a good on-line source to find a picture of the back of a missile? I did an image search for a Sidewinder, and found lots of front, side, and in-flight shots, but nothing from the rear. What I'm mainly interested in is, what does the ass-end of an unfired missile look like? I've always painted it black, but I'm thinking now that that doesn't make much sense. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

2106286510064247675S600x600Q85.jpg

Like right here. I built this kit when it first came out. Should I have done the back of the RMS-1's in black, or just left them?

I think you need a little "Hellfire" to keep you honest B)) These are flight ready, not from a static display. I've got a 2.75" rocket pod if needed be too! - MT

post-2518-129554449887_thumb.jpg

Edited by MechTech

• 2 weeks later...

I think you need a little "Hellfire" to keep you honest B))

Pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!!

Highly doubt I'll be able to put little blue notations on them, though......

Most pics you find of missiles are dummies etc. Pics of the back end of live missiles are fairly rare. As the RMS-1 is a big long-range missile, a Sidewinder's not a very good reference IMHO. Here's the back end of an AGM-65 Maverick. (which is also actually quite short range, but at least a lot bigger with a big warhead)

Overall, ceramic white or terra-cotta seem to be popular colors on missiles for the actual rocket exhaust. Are the RMS-1's actually rocket-powered though? They're big enough that they could actually have a jet engine like a cruise missile.

Here's a nice set of Harpoon pics, and it has basically a simple black cap at the end though: http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle2/agm-84h-1/index.php

post-16-129632608769_thumb.jpg