Pets

Shaorin

just wondering what other MWers have pets.

for my part, i have a pair of female Guinea Pigs;

"Mikuru" about 6mos. old;

Mikuru12-18-10.jpg

and "Aurica" about 4/5 years old now;

DSC_2163.jpg

they're both darlings, the most sweet tempered Guineas i've ever had, and i've had many off and on,

since my very first, back around 1987/1988ish.

my mother was even a Guinea breeder a couple of times in the last twenty-odd years,

once around the late eighties, the other time in the early 2000s.

she also bread Fancy Rats in the 1990's, and was a Finch fancier in the late eighties to early nineties,

around the same time as her first first Guinea Pig kennel.

while all this crap was going on, she was also breeding Pembroke Welsh Corgis.

in fact, she was an AKC registered Corgi breeder from the late 1970's through the mid 2000s,

when family difficulties forced her to give it all up. it's too bad, too, as her Corgi stock

was descended from legendary British roots, one of the finest english bloodlines, if i recall.

anyway, as you can see, animals have been a major element in my life.

i have absolutely ZERO interest in breeding, despite my being raised around it

constantly, but i DO INDEED love rodents, and after having just about every major

species of them for pets at some time in my life

(HAMSTERS/FANCY RATS/GERBILS/DWARF HAMSTERS/RABBITS/GUINEA PIGS)

i have come to the personal conclusion that Guineas are the very best rodent pets on earth. (IMO, anyway.)

BTW; Guineas have a delightful little language all their own.

it's kind of hard to explain, so I'll let this site do that; http://jackiesguineapiggies.com/guineapigsounds.html

for my part, i have a pair of female Guinea Pigs;

My grandfather used to raise and sell guinea pigs.He also used to eat them. :unsure: I have a dachshund that is spoiled rotten, and up to recently my deceased cat of 16 years. :(

Oh, I've got a fair few pets... my family knows I'm good with animals, so whenever a family friend has a pet they can't take care of anymore for whatever reason, it invariably ends up under my care. Right now I'm looking after four turtles, a rabbit, and a cockatiel on a permanent basis, and I'm also temporarily looking after my family's dog while they're out of town... pics to follow.

Here are my four turtles... I had to photograph them in groups of two because they're rather big, and they don't quite grasp the cliche that turtles are supposed to be slow and placid. They've gotten so big I don't have a tank big enough for them, so they live in a kiddie pool in my sun porch... they've gotten rather adept at escaping the pool lately. I've also caught them climbing (no joke, no exaggeration) a fully vertical brick wall. They've got into the bad habit of knocking the towel bin for the hot tub down and sleeping in the spilled towels.:rolleyes:

Michael (left) and "Baby" (the foot in the bottom left belongs to Duke)

HNI_0005.JPG

Mark (left) and Michael

HNI_0002.JPG

Duke (the troublemaker)

HNI_0003.JPG

Don't have any pictures of my cockatiel, Sullavin... mainly because he's a jerkass who's pushing the upper limits of a cockatiel's lifespan (he's going on 20, IIRC) and keeps mooning the camera.

This is Whisper, the unholy terror foisted on me by my sister when one of her friends discovered their college dorm wouldn't let her keep a rabbit... I'm fairly certain it feeds on carrots, human suffering, and the insulation on HDMI cables.

091216_034453.jpg

and lastly, the dog I'm looking after for today (and the only creature that consented to sit still long enough to be photographed), my family's dog Abagail, a female purebred Boxer.

HNI_0008.JPG

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I've kept a variety of pets, mostly dogs but I also had a freshwater planted tank that I sold to my boss after the CEO of red sea Raved about it to him. I then switched to a nano reef but sold it off when my son was a born. Currently we just have two roborovski hamsters named April and Suzy, while they're super cute they're not much of pets as they don't really take well to being tamed and a mostly active at night when the rest of us are sleeping.

The idea is to get a medium sized dog sometime next year but my wife isn't much of a dog person so I don't think it will happen.