There is Police Mecha in many animes...

Remembering Patlabor has made me start thinking. Do modern day police forces have special vehicles? Not like a robot. But, Police Tanks, or anything like that?

I remember watching this Naked Gun movie, with Leslie Nielson, and Nielson got inside a Police Tank and drove it straight through a house, and through a stone wall, into a zoo, letting all the animals out. And this got me thinking... Do Police Departments actually have tanks, decked out in White, and Black (and maybe blue?), that they use for extreme situations? I've seen one or two Armored Cars the SWAT team uses on TV, but thats about it.

For some reason any vehicle painted in the good ol' White, Black (and mybe blue?) scheme Police Scheme is awesome. The very idea of "Police Tanks" makes me remember Dominion Tank Police with much joy ^__^

This is half off topic, as the question is inspired by Anime like Dominion Tank Police, and Patlabor, but the question in itself is completely off topic ^_^

Thanks in advance!

-BEN-MAN-

By the jail in Clinton Twp by me, they store thier tactical vehicals and they have 2 tank style battering rams and a couple hummers. They look like they havent moved in quite a while. Im sure every county/major city has one. But they probably keep them in a garage.

I think the LAPD has some battering tank things, and many police department bomb squads use remote-controlled robots to do the initial investigation of suspicious packages (If a robot gets blown up, you're out just the money you paid for it, rather than risk an officer being seriously injured or killed)

I wonder, is there a special branch of the police department that mans these Tank Battering Rams? It seems like every police department has them. Pfunk mentioned how the Ram Tanks he's seen looked like they hadnt been mobilized in a very long time, and to be sure. When the hell would you actually need one of these things??

But it seems like it would be a cool job, getting to practice with them and stuff. I wonder if there are police officers who's /main job/ is to drive those things. Or is every cop trained in them. I dunno.

-BEN-MAN-

Say, does anyone have any pics of the the United States Battering Ram Tank?

I've dug up a picture of Matchbox toy, depicting the 6 wheeled Battering Ram APC, but not the tank one seen in Naked Gun.

Any toys or sites of this mysterious vehicle?

-BEN-MAN-