SDF MACROSS: DYRL on S-VHS

Shaorin

hi guys. i decided to do my own personal commemoration of MACROSS and the year 2010

by making an S-VHS recording using my 1988 JVC HR-S8000U S-VHS VCR and a broadcast studio

quality S-VHS cassette...

HR-S8000U-MACROSSDYRL6-7-10.jpg

...and using a HK bootleg DVD with english subtitles, played back on a 1998 PIONEER DV-09 DVD player...

DV-09MacGyver06-16-09.jpg

...and the resultant recording...

HR-S8000U-MACROSSDYRL6-7-102.jpg

...don't laugh; this is 1987 tech we're talking about here. being a child of the video revolution,

i remember full well what joe-everyman video resolution was like, and this, my friends, was VERY GOOD.

indeed, IMHO, it even holds up very well to the DVD. still, i shudder when recalling the sums one had to pay

to enjoy video resolution of this caliber back in the late eighties...

Edited by Shaorin

Yeahs SVHS was and still is the next best thing to Beta.

Kudos for trying. Better quaility than some of the DVD bootlegs im sure.

Where I used to work we still had some studio rigs with broadcast SVHS in. They were old school but oddly we mostly used them for transfering old VHS to DVD via the outputs and a matrixed scaler. Oh all that corporate crap that was meant to inspire the work force.

Big robust and needed a two man lift to get it out of the storage bays. Still back in the early 90's you could by a reasonable secondhand car for what they cost.

Edited by big F

Yeahs SVHS was and still is the next best thing to Beta.

Kudos for trying. Better quaility than some of the DVD bootlegs im sure.

Where I used to work we still had some studio rigs with broadcast SVHS in. They were old school but oddly we mostly used them for transfering old VHS to DVD via the outputs and a matrixed scaler. Oh all that corporate crap that was meant to inspire the work force.

Big robust and needed a two man lift to get it out of the storage bays. Still back in the early 90's you could by a reasonable secondhand car for what they cost.

yep, industrial VCRs were usually around $2000/$3000 at the time.

don't get me even started on the multi-standard VCRs. $1500/$2000 list

for what basically amounted to a $500.00 level VCR that happened to be able to convert PAL,SECAM and MESECAM to NTSC and vice-versa,

usually with MONO sound, and occasionally black and white conversion video playback, at that!!!!

Edited by Shaorin

Some serious classic equipment you have there and nice effort with the transition to VHS!

However (and since you seem to have multisystem equipment), there's a pretty good DYRL VHS that was released in the UK by Kiseki. Not to be confused by the horrible Clash of the Bionoids.

The subtitles are way better than on my HK DVD.

This VHS can still be found every now and again on ebay for a bargain price.

Some serious classic equipment you have there and nice effort with the transition to VHS!

However (and since you seem to have multisystem equipment), there's a pretty good DYRL VHS that was released in the UK by Kiseki. Not to be confused by the horrible Clash of the Bionoids.

The subtitles are way better than on my HK DVD.

This VHS can still be found every now and again on ebay for a bargain price.

actually, i DO NOT own any multi-system gear, i've just done my homework on it, is all...

one thing i need to do, however, is see if i can get my PIONEER DV-09's ROM reprogrammed for all-region DVD playback...

nice deck! I dreamed of one of those back in the day. A testament to how well those things were built that it still produces great results 22 years later! In fact I still dream of one or similar, I just dragged a box of old VHS out of storage and want to transfer a lot of irreplaceable stuff to hard disk.

yep, industrial VCRs were usually around $2000/$3000 at the time.

don't get me even started on the multi-standard VCRs. $1500/$2000 list

for what basically amounted to a $500.00 level VCR that happened to be able to convert PAL,SECAM and MESECAM to NTSC and vice-versa,

usually with MONO sound, and occasionally black and white conversion video playback, at that!!!!

LOL my Sony multi standard bought the farm and has been gutted to allow me to fit my new media center pc into it. Old skool looks but with a modern heart. God I love my dremel.

Blu-ray drive exits out of the converted Video slot VFD display is connected into the Motherboard switches work stuff like drives and fans, and the play buttons etc will be working the as they would have done on the original video just as soon as I can get time to do it. :)

Edited by big F

LOL my Sony multi standard bought the farm and has been gutted to allow me to fit my new media center pc into it. Old skool looks but with a modern heart. God I love my dremel.

Blu-ray drive exits out of the converted Video slot VFD display is connected into the Motherboard switches work stuff like drives and fans, and the play buttons etc will be working the as they would have done on the original video just as soon as I can get time to do it. :)

haha, thats f`n cool! B))