Questions on DYRL

Chaser617

I've been a fan of the Macross saga ever since I first saw it (and please don't hurt me) as robotech here in the states when I was a kid.

Recently, I have been discovering the REAL Macross, through readings and other materials (haven't found the american release Macross tapes yet).

Now, I have just watched a coppy of DYRL, and I'm confused all the holy heck about it. it follows what I know of the Macross Storyline (not the RT version that I grew up with, but the real Macross) but, in my mind just barely, in fact, the way my two favorite characters meet is completely different, and their wedding is never shown.

Is this because of the restraints of trying to fit an entire series into the span of a movie? and if so, has the original series been thrown out as official and what happens in DYRL now officially what hapens?

This is probably something for the newbie thread and I suggest you go there as there are a whole bunch of links that will answer lots of questions.

Recently, I have been discovering the REAL Macross, through readings and other materials (haven't found the american release Macross tapes yet).

No tapes. Only DVDs. Shop around online stores. http://www.animeigo.com

...but, in my mind just barely, in fact, the way my two favorite characters meet is completely different, and their wedding is never shown.

Is this because of the restraints of trying to fit an entire series into the span of a movie? and if so, has the original series been thrown out as official and what happens in DYRL now officially what hapens?

In a way, yes the wedding sequence was removed due to time/production constraints. There were a few more sequences originally planned for DYRL?. However, they ended on the cutting room floor. The original series has not been removed from the official canon. For all purposes, we use the TV series for content. For looks, we use DYRL?. However, I should let Egan Loo explain it.

http://www.anime.net/macross/

Production Notes: There have been several protrayals of Space War I, including some purportedly created within the world of Macross itself. Studio Nue protrayed the war in the first The Super Dimension Fortress Macross series (1982-1983) and the movie The Super Dimension Fortress Macross [the Movie]: Do You Remember Love? (1984). In addition, the people in the world of Macross itself created a similarly named movie Do You Remember Love? (excerpted in Macross 7 episode 11 and other episodes' prologues) in 2031 and the Linn Minmei Story (excerpted in Macross 7 episode 11 and 14) in 2045.

Shoji Kawamori and the rest of Studio Nue have left their options open on which version protrays the war the most accurately. ("The real Macross is out there, somewhere. If I tell the story in the length of a TV series, it looks one way, and if I tell it as a movie-length story, it's organized another way.") For the Macross Chronology that provides the framework for all Macross projects by Studio Nue however, Kawamori and Masahiro Chiba decided to rely on the television series's story.

Edited by azrael