Practicing on junk/knockoffs

Luclin999

In light of the fact that Yamato is coming out with the assemble/paint your own VF-1S mecha I decided to start practicing my customizing skills so as to be a bit better prepared for after they ship.

However being a relative novice at customizing valkyries I decided against practicing on any of my "good" figures (Yamatos, Bandai, etc.) and started working on some cheap ($7) Chinese knock-offs of the Bandai 1/55th VF-1S series I found on the web.

These things are absolute garbage but I figured that made them perfect to practice upon.

Here are some before and after shots.

Custom-test-1.jpg

Custom-test-2.jpg

I know that the figure isn't perfect but I don't think I did too badly for a first attempt. Also, I realize that the paint scheme isn't in line with the Yamatos but since it was a knock off of a 1/55th chunkie I decided to try to match it up with the design of the Takatoku/Bandai figures (it is just practice after all).

What I would like though is any comments/criticism as to where people think I need to focus on improving before I move up to my next step, an old Bandai Jetfire.

Fire away.

Edited by Luclin999

I and others of the Chunky Mafia have been advocates of this practice for sometime now. As the old addage goes "You cant polish a turd" , Well theres proof you can sometimes.:)

I have used them as basis for mods and pracice runs, they are perfect for it, I dont feel so bad about a 1 month old HK Junkoff being binned compared to a 20 year old Bandai or Taka, which deserves respect.

Edited by big F

it's a nice paintjob but have you read the old threats on cutsomising the 1/55s?

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...amp;#entry33478

oh and could you send me a pm please on where you found those for only $7? I can't find them for less than $15

I'm afraid that I bought them a few months back off of Ebay.

I was originally planning to modify the cheap boosters that came with the knock off with LEDs to add a thruster effect for my 1/55th VF-1J Max.

Here are some pictures of the prototype I built.

boosters-1.jpg

boosters-2.jpg

Hopefully I'll find the time to finish the mod someday soon. (Max wants the fast packs.)

Edited by Luclin999

I and others of the Chunky Mafia have been advocates of this practice for sometime now. As the old addage goes "You cant polish a turd" , Well theres proof you can sometimes.:)

I have used them as basis for mods and pracice runs, they are perfect for it, I dont feel so bad about a 1 month old HK Junkoff being binned compared to a 20 year old Bandai or Taka, which deserves respect.

Also they are great for use as parts for cannibalized Bandais missing components. I've used entire backplates to "restore" bashed Bandais.

In my customs gallery...my Alaska Valk is about 30 percent bootleg...

With some custom parts those boots can be used for some good stuff. KidKorrupt was a master at that.

I still love the 1/55 scale stuff! I hope Bandai will re-release the 1/55 Strike Valkyrie with (one of) the original box art. I have not purchased any of the "Origin of Valkyrie" offerings, but will most definitely pop for the Strike and perhaps a re-release of the GBP-1S gift set (again, with the box art that stirs up all the memories).

post-1617-1261716356_thumb.jpg

^_^

Edited by Wicked Ace