Will we ever see TV type pilots (besides Hikaru)?

Draykov

Well what do you guys think when they ever issue a VF-1D? And Minmei and Hikaru in civy flight suit gummies? :p

Actuallly I like the TV flightsuits. The DRYL is just too flashy. I would like to see a gummy pack but wouldn't that be too much for Yamato? As much I am being obessed with the VF-4, I don't think a 1/48 one will happen. The reason why I dont like VF 1/60 because some detail is missing like the catapult piece, opening canopy, etc. The 1/48 has the detail we see from the TV and movie versions. We don't have to replace the cockpit canopy piece with the cover, the gun pod fits snuggly without touching the ground, removing the legs to transform it, etc.

As for the large arm and leg sections on the DYRL and later flight suits, I think those help prevent blackouts during high-G maneuvers. Think about it... Larger forearm and lower leg sections, or be more prone to blackouts. Which would you choose?

Do you pull Gs in space?

As for the large arm and leg sections on the DYRL and later flight suits, I think those help prevent blackouts during high-G maneuvers. Think about it... Larger forearm and lower leg sections, or be more prone to blackouts. Which would you choose?

Do you pull Gs in space?

Yes. You do.

Gs are not caused by gravity. . . but by inertia.

If you are in deep space going 1000MPH in one direction, and then instantly do a 180 and apply thrust in the opposite direction, you'll definitely feel it. :)

Gs are a measurement, but they are only that. . . meaning: "4 Gs" just means that you are feeling 4 times the amount of pressure as the earth's normal gravitational pull at sea level. You can feel Gs without earth's gravity being the cause. . . you can feel Gs while pulling out of a climb just as easily as when you are pulling out of a dive.

Thank you AeroTech (Battletech game of Space Combat) for teaching me this those many years ago. :)

H

Edited by Hurin

If you are in deep space going 1000MPH in one direction, and then instantly do a 180 and apply thrust in the opposite direction, you'll definitely feel it.

That's a good point. Hence the spinning space station = gravity thing.

Edited by Draykov

It's also the theory behind another form of anti-gravity: Constant acceleration/deceleration.

If you can just keep applying thrust (whether accelerating or decelerating), you'll have a feeling of gravity. Of course, you'd have to orient the "floor" of the spacecraft appropriately. :)

H

The act of adding the details is not easy, but the ability to incorporate it into a 1/48 model/toy would be easier than trying to detail a 1/60 or 1/72.

I don't really think so. Think about the main "detail" points of the 1/48. The removable radome, the intakes/covers, telescoping feet, the flaps, the airbrake... even the flip skeleton hands... should all be pretty much as easily doable at 1/60 as 1/48. That detail is what justifies the larger price, though... as well as the larger size and complexity (but is even that larger size necessary for the 1/48's "semi-perfect" transformation?).

Yamato could easily do a "2nd generation" of 1/60 or whatever they wanted to call it with nearly all (if not all) of the 1/48 features. Price it in between the current 1/60s and the 1/48s (maybe around 9,000 Yen w/o FP and 11,000 or so in Super/Strike trim) and I'd gobble em up because of their smaller footprint and affordability.

But yeah I'd like a Roy in TV type flight suit, but Max and Milia are a pretty sure bet as Yamato isn't gonna just go with a single TV valk (gotta milk the cockpit and head molds, after all). Kakizaki? Don't hold your breath...

Bring on these accessory kits!

Edited by Uxi

Yamato could easily do a "2nd generation" of 1/60 or whatever they wanted to call it with nearly all (if not all) of the 1/48 features. Price it in between the current 1/60s and the 1/48s (maybe around 9,000 Yen w/o FP and 11,000 or so in Super/Strike trim) and I'd gobble em up because of their smaller footprint and affordability.

I don't think they'd do that. It doesn't make much sense financially. I mantain my stance that the bigger the scale, the more detail you can add to it. Unless you want to actually go to the trouble of adding microscopic detail that you can assure your customers "is really there." You can make a more realistic throttle control/instrument panel if you have more material to work with. I'm not really talking about things like the the removable radome, the intakes/covers, telescoping feet, the flaps, the airbrake... even the flip skeleton hands. Those are all doable in 1/60 or smaller... but I'm sure the functionality of the features like these that you could add in the smaller scale would be more problematic both in their engineering and in their actual role as "features." I can see it now: "New and improved 2nd generation 1/60 VF-1. Now 95% more fragile and breakable! More small parts to snap off and lose!" Where's my credit card!? ;)

Edited by Draykov

I don't think they will do the TV schemes...

They suck compared to DYRL schemes anyway.

man i totally disagree with that.

TV suits are so cool. So realistic. Yes they're not yellow and sparking like glitter rock star ahah but they are realistic.

Especially Roy's. Grey, basic, simple. And helmets are way more realistic as well.

have you seen the legs of the DYRL uniforms? Is it some kind of survival equipment contained into those fat legs?

No no... believe me... TV unifroms are the best

A drawback that I can see to these pilots is that they might deteriorate quicker than their solid plastic buddies. I hate thinking about coming home one day to see that my pilot has melted in the sun, or is slowly turning into rubber powder. Is there a great risk of this sort of thing happening?

hum then you can put your VF into resin, i mean, make a big resin block around it. of course you won't be able to transform it anymore, but at least it will stay good looking for centuries!!

Ditto. I cannot help but agree wholeheartedly with u. Will trade my DYRL 1/48 valks for the TV series one anytime anyday! :p

I don't think they'd do that. It doesn't make much sense financially. I mantain my stance that the bigger the scale, the more detail you can add to it. Unless you want to actually go to the trouble of adding microscopic detail that you can assure your customers "is really there." You can make a more realistic throttle control/instrument panel if you have more material to work with. I'm not really talking about things like the the removable radome, the intakes/covers, telescoping feet, the flaps, the airbrake... even the flip skeleton hands.

Economics dictates that the smaller and more affordable valkyrie will sell more. Many people are scared off by a >100$ toy. But having an improved 1/48 and an improved 1/60 aren't mutually exclusive options... some people will want bigger with fine detail like the cockpit, etc. Others (like me) want the functional detail and better sculpt but smaller and more affordable.

The 1/60 sculpt is inferior and very little about the 1/48s sculpt can't be replicated effectively in a smaller scale and there shouldn't be any inherent fragility in it, beyond that which is already in the *1/48* (namely the backpack connection). You're not talking about the air-brake, etc but that is practically the ONLY detail the 1/48 has that the 1/60 doesn't. Little things like the cockpit would be nice for something like the 1/48, but we don't have a whole lot of it now beyond a sticker that doesn't fit without custom trimming.

My 1/60 dreams aren't gonna happen because it would kill a good portion of the 1/48 market. But let's not mistake it for what it is, though. I like the 1/48 but they're too big and expensive (at import pricing) for me to ever want more than a couple.