Will we ever see TV type pilots (besides Hikaru)?

Draykov

This hadn't even occured to me until I saw Recon's thread stating that the VF-1S/VF-1A reissues had the old style pilot of the original release versions.

Do you think we'll ever see TV type pilots besides Hikaru? I mean, Roy is pretty much out unless we see a 3rd release of the yellow and black VF-1S. Max and Miria, I would say, are pretty likely. I and others (including Graham) have speculated that M&M VF-1Js are probably not far off. Kakizaki? Unless they make a VF-1A TV type for him, probably not. We may not even see him in a DYRL flight suit.

I'm really bummed at the fact that I'll never see Roy's black/gray outfit in the cockpit of my VF-1S though (unless, of course, I customize one). Yamato would be smart to release a gummi pilot pack at some point (in my opinion) but that seems like a pipedream to me.

Edited by Draykov

a bag o' gummi pilots!!!!! that would rule!!! some of them could be standin' up so you could put them next to the valk.... there would be TV and Movie pilots! People have complained about the lack of detail on yamato's pilots.... these could be highly detailed gummi alternatives!!!!! aaaaaaaa!!! I ecstatic with joy at just the idea! Yamato employee, if you are reading this, gummi pilots are THE thing to make, pleasepleasepleeeeeeeeeease! :p

Edited by DrClay

The TV pilot on the Hikaru VF-1J is a really nice sculpt. The new DYRL pilot sculpt that comes with the Hikaru VF-1S is a huge improvement over the original.

If Yamato wanted to release a TV version VF-1S, then they would have to change the color of the arrows on the head from yellow (DYRL) to black (TV). Also, release it with the TV pilot repainted in Focker colors and include a set of the non-articulated TV hands.

Personally, I think Yamato should release an accessory set including both standing and seated TV & DYRL pilots (the new sculpts so we can replace our old first sculpt DYRL pilots), ground crew figures, a weapons cart for stacking missiles and/or gunpod and some non-articulated larger DYRL type hands.

Graham

Hi Graham, would Yamato do what you have proposed? If there is a possibility, i would like to wait for the VF-1S TV style to be released and at the same time hope they have the problems present for the VF-1S series to be solved by then. It would be cool to have accessories or ground crew or an improved pilot to replaced those from the earlier series. But seriously would Yamato do that, i kinda of doubt so...cos they have stopped allwoing the replacement of broken or missing parts.. :(

Cheers

Personally, I think Yamato should release an accessory set including both standing and seated TV & DYRL pilots (the new sculpts so we can replace our old first sculpt DYRL pilots), ground crew figures, a weapons cart for stacking missiles and/or gunpod and some non-articulated larger DYRL type hands.

Oh yeah! Give me those hands :) I'm hoping Yamato does this as well.

Well if Graham suggests it and we all support it I think Yamato might come out with the accessory set he is proposing. Yamato has always seemed to listen to Graham and the demands of the fans so I say Graham should bring it up at his next dinner with the Yamato President.

I can't help but feel if Yamato ever decided to do something like this, it would be a low priority when compared to the latest release VF-1 toys. I just hope that if they do release any VF-1 accessories, they do it before they get too involved in other projects (like Macross Zero or whatever is coming down the pipe). My interest in the 1/60 line is almost non-existant now, but some folks are still waiting for those update kits.

But it would be a good way to get new hands, pilots, and it would be a great way for folks who didn't want to spring for FAST packs to get some RMS-1s (assuming there are such people out there).

Edited by Draykov

I know what the difference between tv and dyrl pilots are.  I just didn't know what the difference between the early Yamato 1/48 pilots and the later ones are now.  Does anyone have decent photos for comparison?  I couldn't tell from the pictures in the toy section of MW.com

Neil

Apparently there are no differences between the orginal VF-1A/S pilots and the reissues. However, the Hikaru VF-1S came with a gummi resin pilot (as seen in the VF-1A low-vis) with an improved sculpt.

hvf1s-08.jpg

Edited by Draykov

Accessory sets like Graham is mentioning would sell like hotcakes. And if Yamato doesn't do it, why doesn't someone else? How big is the 1/48 model market anyways?

semi-related: Why in the heck didn't Bandai ever release FAST Pack kits for the 1/55 reissues (after the VF-1S Super of course)? I mean, if they still have their license, I bet they would sell well even now! Think of all the people willing to pay $20 each so that they can FAST Pack all their Bandais without having to buy the VF-1S Super over and over.

The only complicating factor I can think of is that they would probably need to make them fit the reissues and the originals. . . lest confusion ensue.

There's gotta be some reason that Yamato and Bandai don't do this sort of thing. Alas, I doubt any of us have the requisite knowledge or business/manufacturing experience to really know why. . . :(

But, if it made sense to them from a profit stand-point, I think they'd do it.

H

The TV pilot on the Hikaru VF-1J is a really nice sculpt. The new DYRL pilot sculpt that comes with the Hikaru VF-1S is a huge improvement over the original.

If Yamato wanted to release a TV version VF-1S, then they would have to change the color of the arrows on the head from yellow (DYRL) to black (TV). Also, release it with the TV pilot repainted in Focker colors and include a set of the non-articulated TV hands.

Graham

mmmm , that would be nice , they could also release some Low-vis-ish looking pilots as well. Maybe even a petit Cola machine :lol:

Official Yamato Accessory kits would sell enourmously well , particularly if they include some blank pilot sculpts and things like that.

Edit: I just remembered that Yamato was planing on releasing a Launch Arm , what happened to that project Graham ? would it be possible for Yamato to include the accessory kits with it ?

Edited by Aegis!

A drawback that I can see to these pilots is that they might deteriorate quicker than their solid plastic buddies. I hate thinking about coming home one day to see that my pilot has melted in the sun, or is slowly turning into rubber powder. Is there a great risk of this sort of thing happening?

I hate thinking about coming home one day to see that my pilot has melted in the sun, or is slowly turning into rubber powder. Is there a great risk of this sort of thing happening?

I have no idea, but I doubt it'll deteriorate more quickly than any other resin/plastic. Although it might be easier for house pets and small children to chew and swallow.

Edited by Draykov

I don't think they will do the TV schemes...

They suck compared to DYRL schemes anyway.

man i totally disagree with that.

TV suits are so cool. So realistic. Yes they're not yellow and sparking like glitter rock star ahah but they are realistic.

Especially Roy's. Grey, basic, simple. And helmets are way more realistic as well.

have you seen the legs of the DYRL uniforms? Is it some kind of survival equipment contained into those fat legs?

No no... believe me... TV unifroms are the best

A drawback that I can see to these pilots is that they might deteriorate quicker than their solid plastic buddies. I hate thinking about coming home one day to see that my pilot has melted in the sun, or is slowly turning into rubber powder. Is there a great risk of this sort of thing happening?

hum then you can put your VF into resin, i mean, make a big resin block around it. of course you won't be able to transform it anymore, but at least it will stay good looking for centuries!!

Edited by Göönk

Yeah think I agree with you... DYRL uniforms are too... Japanese/Samurai looking compared to the TV ones.

If "movie in a movie" wasn't thought up till years afterwards, wonder what the rationalizing for using that stuff was when production of DYRL took place... the continuity (such as it is) of today had hardly come together yet as most of the stuff hadn't been done yet (M+, M7, M0)... hell Macross II hadn't even come out yet, nor most of the games that expanded the continuity that's not consigned to limbo...

From a product selling stand point, there needs to be enough demand for Yamato to respond with a new pilot accessory pack. If we take a vote here, I'm sure many of the VF-1S Roy and VF-1A Hikaru owners would want this product but there would not be enough customers to warrent funding such a project yet, especially considering that it is very likely all future 1/48 pilots would use the improve sculpt. The market and demand would grown diminishingly smaller over time.

The launch arm and TV fast packs may come out as Fast Pack #2 and / or a big bundle with the first version but that would also depend on the sell through of the current fast pack and sales of the TV version of the VF-1s. So long as the VF-1Js and future VF-1s sell like current ones do, I think Yamato may consider this option.

I haven't gotten my first 1/48 yet but I and others considering MAY end up buying multiple VF-1S Hikaru and just customize the pilot and color schema to match Roy's. It sure would be easier to obtain and not have to wait for Yamato to make the fixings for a un-eventual 3rd re-issue of VF-1S Roy and VF-1A Hikaru.

Personally, I think someone should simply re-cast the new pilot sculpts (improve them if they can and maybe the VF-1 Battroid heads A/J/S) and sell a few sets to satisfy the limited but real demand for them. DYRL or TV color schemes can be options or let the owners' paint it themselves. If I had a VF-1S Roy or VF-1A Max now, I would rather go this route than take up Yamato's resources to provide this feature. I rather have Yamato work on near perfect 1/48 scale VT-1, VE-1, VF-0s, VF-4, YF/VF-19, 21, and 22s and etc... oh yeh, and how about some 1/48 Zentradi's to go along with my UN Spacey Force? :rolleyes:

I rather have Yamato work on near perfect 1/48 scale VT-1, VE-1, VF-0s, VF-4, YF/VF-19, 21, and 22s and etc... oh yeh, and how about some 1/48 Zentradi's to go along with my UN Spacey Force?

And here we go again... What´s all this fascination with 1/48 scale for everything ? not everything is gonna be good because it´s big ,specially a 1/48 M0 or M+ valk. THEY WOULD NOT BE THE SAME AS YOUR 1/48 VF-1s they would double its size and the ammount of die-cast would be minimal , moreover the toy itslef would be too cumbersome to even transform , and as a display piece it wouldn´t have anymore detail than what Yamato can actually do with their VF-1s , and for that price it wouldn´t sell well , hell , if the curent VF-1 toys are limited collection item the M0 or M+ toys will be even more limited within that market.

just as an example of th size of this things : do people realise that a 1/48 YF-21´s nosecone would be just as big as an entire 1/72 YF-21 toy ? I certainly wouldn´t buy such a big and expensive monstrosity.

Let´s not talk about the M0 valks , those even bigger :(

I rather have Yamato work on near perfect 1/48 scale VT-1, VE-1, VF-0s, VF-4, YF/VF-19, 21, and 22s and etc... oh yeh, and how about some 1/48 Zentradi's to go along with my UN Spacey Force?

And here we go again... What´s all this fascination with 1/48 scale for everything ? not everything is gonna be good because it´s big ,specially a 1/48 M0 or M+ valk. THEY WOULD NOT BE THE SAME AS YOUR 1/48 VF-1s they would double its size and the ammount of die-cast would be minimal , moreover the toy itslef would be too cumbersome to even transform , and as a display piece it wouldn´t have anymore detail than what Yamato can actually do with their VF-1s , and for that price it wouldn´t sell well , hell , if the curent VF-1 toys are limited collection item the M0 or M+ toys will be even more limited within that market.

just as an example of th size of this things : do people realise that a 1/48 YF-21´s nosecone would be just as big as an entire 1/72 YF-21 toy ? I certainly wouldn´t buy such a big and expensive monstrosity.

lol no one seems to understand scale vs size on MW. I don't think they'd be double a VF-1 but bigger none the less.

"I'd like a 1/48 SDF-1" lol....... <_<

And with the increasing value of the Japanese yen, Macross toys will become more expensive.

On the subject of uniforms give me DYRL. But I think Yamato will crank out more TV sculpts since the 1/48 Max and Miria will probably come out someday

VF-1 dimensions:

Fighter Mode

Wingspan (fully extended): 14.78m (48.49 ft.)

Length: 14.23m (46.67 ft.)

Height: 3.84m (12.6 ft.)

Battroid Mode

Width: 7.3m (23.95 ft.)

Length: 4m (13.12 ft.)

Height: 12.68m (41.60 ft.)

VF-0 dimensions:

Fighter Mode

Wingspan (full extended): ?

Length: 18.69m (61.32 ft.)

Height: ?

Battroid Mode

Width: ?

Length: ?

So if my math is right, a 1/48 VF-0 in fighter mode would be a little over 15" long to the VF-1's 11"+ (does anyone have the exact dimensions of the Yamato toy?)...what's the big deal? It doesn't sound too monstrous to me. Big, sure, but not impossibly expensive or difficult to engineer. In regards to "everyone wanting everything in 1/48," I think it has more to do with consistancy than a "bigger is better" mentality. Obviously when it comes to cockpit and pilot detail, 1/48 is going to offer more in that area. Personally, I'd like to have various Valks of the same scale to display together. If it's easier for Yamato to do so in the larger 1/48 scale...cool. If they do M0 Valks in something smaller, so be it. It would feel like a step backwards to many, myself included...but whatever will sell is what they'll do.

Dimensions are from The Macross Compendium

Edited by Draykov

VF-1 dimensions:

Fighter Mode

Wingspan (fully extended): 14.78m (48.49 ft.)

Length: 14.23m (46.67 ft.)

Height: 3.84m (12.6 ft.)

Battroid Mode

Width: 7.3m (23.95 ft.)

Length: 4m (13.12 ft.)

Height: 12.68m (41.60 ft.)

VF-0 dimensions:

Fighter Mode

Wingspan (full extended): ?

Length: 18.69m (61.32 ft.)

Battroid Mode

Width: ?

Length: ?

So if my math is right, a 1/48 VF-0 in fighter mode would be a little over 15" long to the VF-1's 11"+ (does anyone have the exact dimensions of the Yamato toy?)...what's the big deal? It doesn't sound too monstrous to me. Big, sure, but not impossibly expensive or difficult to engineer. In regards to "everyone wanting everything in 1/48," I think it has more to do with consistancy than a "bigger is better" mentality. Obviously when it comes to cockpit and pilot detail, 1/48 is going to offer more in that area. Personally, I'd like to have various Valks of the same scale to display together. If it's easier for Yamato to do so in the larger 1/48 scale...cool. If they do M0 Valks in something smaller, so be it. It would feel like a step backwards to many, myself included...but whatever will sell is what they'll do.

Dimensions are from The Macross Compendium

Aegis keeps this up because he thinks having an entire line of toys in 1/48 will eventually detract from the smaller scales which he enjoys more.

What he fails to realize, is that we KNOW how big these things will be. The people that want 1/48 want BIG. We can afford BIG. We have space for BIG. Nothing but BIG will satisfy us. Why settle for a cheese burger, when you can have a quarter pounder?

Will a 1/48 YF-21 have more detail than a 1/60 YF-21? Probably not. But will the quarter pounder taste better than the cheese burger? Again, probably not. But it's bigger, and I think we've got a lot of hungry people here at MacrossWorld.

Will a 1/48 YF-21 have more detail than a 1/60 YF-21? Probably not.

Well, a 1/48 YF-21 might be pushing the envelope of "do-ability," but I do think it would be more detailed than a 1/60. I mean c'mon: the bigger it is the more "realistic" you can make it. Real rubber tires on the landing gear, engine compartments...the bigger it is the easier it is to add detail. The act of adding the details is not easy, but the ability to incorporate it into a 1/48 model/toy would be easier than trying to detail a 1/60 or 1/72.

Edited by Draykov

Well, a 1/48 YF-21 might be pushing the envelope of "do-ability," but I do think it would be more detailed than a 1/60. I mean c'mon: the bigger it is the more "realistic" you can make it. Real rubber tires on the landing gear, engine compartments...the bigger it is the easier it is to add detail. The act of adding the details is not easy, but the ability to incorporate it into a 1/48 model/toy would be easier than trying to detail a 1/60 or 1/72.

True, although one valid point Aegis does make is that a 1:60 21 should be sufficiently large enough to add all the bells and whistles that a 1/48 vf1 has. Not that I really care about bells and whistles though. I just want it big and nice. :)

True, although one valid point Aegis does make is that a 1:60 21 should be sufficiently large enough to add all the bells and whistles that a 1/48 vf1 has. Not that I really care about bells and whistles though. I just want it big and nice. :)

True (with the exception of the pilot/cockpit area that is). But this is where I would say consistancy in scale comes in...I'd like it and if a $150+ table top YF-21 is what it takes to get it, then I may go for it. If you want to talk excessive, then let's discuss the 1/60 Monster. :lol:

True (with the exception of the pilot/cockpit area that is). But this is where I would say consistancy in scale comes in...I'd like it and if a $150+ table top YF-21 is what it takes to get it, then I may go for it. If you want to talk excessive, then let's discuss the 1/60 Monster. :lol:

^_^ *nodnod*

Too many times has the "The Q-rau and Monster are 1/60 and they have tons of detail!" arguement been brought up. This is the most blatant case of not understanding size over scale. I don't know how people can support a 1/60 Monster then try to shoot down a 1/48 YF-21.

^_^ *nodnod*

Too many times has the "The Q-rau and Monster are 1/60 and they have tons of detail!" arguement been brought up. This is the most blatant case of not understanding size over scale. I don't know how people can support a 1/60 Monster then try to shoot down a 1/48 YF-21.

I'll go for a 1/48 YF-21! :D

Give me a 1/48 VF-11 thank you very much! And of course the VF-4 (yes I am obsessing on it). ;)

They could probably strengthen up the delicate areas with metal parts that normally a smaller one might not be able to have because the metal parts would be too small and weak. On a 1/48 VF-11 they might be able to do away with those shoulder bars that the 1/72 VF-11 has.

Just wondering, but has anyone had any accidents yet with their pilots? Cat eating it. Kid eating it. One of you getting hungry and deciding to see what gummi-pilots taste like. Candle falling in the cockpit during a romantic dinner (sorry, couldn't resist! :p )?

One thing that sort of confuses/disappoints me is this: why didn't they put the gummi Hikaru from the 1S into the 1A reissue? Why didn't they give Roy the same gummi treatment and put him in the reissue 1S? Oh, well. I guess it just makes an accessory kit more attractive should they do it later. Maybe that's what they're counting on.

The way I see it about the TV type pilots goes like this... We already have *one* TV Hikaru pilot made... if Yamato doesn't plan to make the others, just recast the Hikaru and paint it. More work, prolly, but that's the way the CF crumbles. :p

Besides, how many TV pilot variants are there?

Hikaru

Roy

Max

Milia

Hayao

CF Pilot (like Hikaru's but using green instead of red)

Did I miss any?

As for the large arm and leg sections on the DYRL and later flight suits, I think those help prevent blackouts during high-G maneuvers. Think about it... Larger forearm and lower leg sections, or be more prone to blackouts. Which would you choose? B))