Repairing my Yamato 1/60 YF-19 valkyrie

eyesonme78

Just a thread to share my experiment with repairing my yamato 1/60 YF-19 valkyrie.

I have recently won an ebay auction for a Yf-19 1/60 valkyrie with fold boaster . And the price is too tempting for me to overlook the faults it have.

the problems as shown in the pics:

Cracked chest plate.

Stressed points for joints.

Those are really nasty problems which will cause us very serious heartaches. :(

post-1278-1257788337_thumb.jpg

post-1278-1257788451_thumb.jpg

I tried using one of the glue to stick it back, and the advantage of the glue is that it will become transparent after it dries up, and not as brittle as super glue..i used it for my model kits all the time and it really holds them up well.

But the bad thing about the glue... it takes a long time to dry up, you have to hold the urge of not touching the parts during the process.

post-1278-1257788705_thumb.jpg

post-1278-1257788840_thumb.jpg

post-1278-1257788926_thumb.jpg

post-1278-1257789690_thumb.jpg

I really don't think PVA glue will hold over time---or even beyond one or two transformations. For the YF-19's plastic, I found that Plastruct Plastic Weld works well---only thing that would actually weld it, instead of glue it. I could only find one place saying what it actually had as the main ingredient, and they claimed it was MEK---methyl-ethyl-ketone. If you can find something with that in it, it should be much better.

Look for a glue that is very watery, and lists ABS as something it works well on--most of that type should work well on YF-19 plastic. (you do not want the stuff plumbers use for ABS pipe--that stuff is far too thick, and often black)

Note that you can't "cover" the piece with these cements---you'll have to apply it only to the cracks/edges. It will eat at whereever it touches---but that's what makes it strong.

I really don't think PVA glue will hold over time---or even beyond one or two transformations. For the YF-19's plastic, I found that Plastruct Plastic Weld works well---only thing that would actually weld it, instead of glue it. I could only find one place saying what it actually had as the main ingredient, and they claimed it was MEK---methyl-ethyl-ketone. If you can find something with that in it, it should be much better.

Look for a glue that is very watery, and lists ABS as something it works well on--most of that type should work well on YF-19 plastic. (you do not want the stuff plumbers use for ABS pipe--that stuff is far too thick, and often black)

Note that you can't "cover" the piece with these cements---you'll have to apply it only to the cracks/edges. It will eat at whereever it touches---but that's what makes it strong.

Thanks for the advice, but what would you suggest that will work well and not eat the plastics ?

cause i used this because i used it before to hold my scratch build model kit parts and it works well for me ..

Transformation test coming soon, will perform a stress test in transformation with pics.. and i had done 3 transformation with no problem. but i did more mods to it.

still have one part which i have yet to figure out who to overcome.

But i still managed to have quite a few times of transformation fun... ha ha..