Space Battleship Yamato

UN Spacy

Having seen both the Live-Action WW2 Yamato and Space Battleship Yamato movies, I'd agree that the CG in the Space Yamato movie looked better. The close in shots of the WW2 Yamato was great (they paid great attention to the details like hatches and gun shields and stuff) but once the camera zoomed out, it didn't look right.

In terms of looks, I'd say the original WW2 Yamato looked better (the real ship, not the CG one). Space Battleship Yamato has the '60s/70s idea of spaceship design' which doesn't sit too well with me (80s child).

Having seen both the Live-Action WW2 Yamato and Space Battleship Yamato movies, I'd agree that the CG in the Space Yamato movie looked better. The close in shots of the WW2 Yamato was great (they paid great attention to the details like hatches and gun shields and stuff) but once the camera zoomed out, it didn't look right.

In terms of looks, I'd say the original WW2 Yamato looked better (the real ship, not the CG one). Space Battleship Yamato has the '60s/70s idea of spaceship design' which doesn't sit too well with me (80s child).

It's a shame about the WWII Yamato movie, considering they built that huge set (two thirds of the ship was reproduced in 1/1 scale).

I agree with your comment on the 60's/70's design of a spaceship for Space Battleship Yamato, it does look dated, but with every new iteration (Resurrection and Live Action 2010), they keep adding details and minor changes to make the appearance acceptable.

I think Japanese studios still haven't been able to seemlessly blend live-action with CGI yet. There was a similar scene in WWII version where there's the outside of the ship and the camera zooms into the bridge....same thing with the 2010 film and both didn't look right.

Well, like I said, looking forward to the remake in another 10 years!