Question about scale

VeganMike

Hey everyone I'm new to the forum and have also just remembered my love for macross and have become totally addicted (again) :lol:

I'm in the process of making a tabletop macross game. My rules are mostly done, I'm on the play testing stage, so I'v run into a problem...Scale.

I cant really find any good resource for how big the scales are. Iv narrowed it down to 3 choices 1/100, 1/144, and 1/200. I was wondering if anyone on here could take a couple picture of a few models(from each scale) beside a ruler. This would help me tremmendously, and save me loves of time and money buy models I don't need. As soon as i finish the beta version of the rules I'll post them on here if anyone is interested, as well as battle reports from play testing.

Thanks again!

Hey everyone I'm new to the forum and have also just remembered my love for macross and have become totally addicted (again) :lol:

I'm in the process of making a tabletop macross game. My rules are mostly done, I'm on the play testing stage, so I'v run into a problem...Scale.

I cant really find any good resource for how big the scales are. Iv narrowed it down to 3 choices 1/100, 1/144, and 1/200. I was wondering if anyone on here could take a couple picture of a few models(from each scale) beside a ruler. This would help me tremmendously, and save me loves of time and money buy models I don't need. As soon as i finish the beta version of the rules I'll post them on here if anyone is interested, as well as battle reports from play testing.

Thanks again!

If you want a good small scale, go with 1/200. They're cheap, easy to get, and you can fit a lot of them on a table IMO. I would think for a tabletop game 1/100 would be way to big.

I've only got 1/144 and 1/200, but here they are.

post-692-1244172390_thumb.jpg

The ones on the top are Yamato's 1/200 line. The bottom are Happinet's 1/144 Chara-works.

I agree with everyone else. The 1/200 are the way to go. Right now, they'll be easiest to find and have a great assortment. No villains, though, but those are pretty rare in the first place unless you can find old Nichimo models... which aren't impossible to dig up on eBay.

I'd have to say 1/200 as well. The Yamato 1/200 valks are excellent and well detailed! If you can find the Nichimo destroids, they're be perfect too. Of course, there's the 1/250 valks coming out (see the toys forum). - MT

For tabletop gaming, I think that 1/200 might still be too big. I would say that the figures from the Macross pencil sharpener sets that were out a few years ago would be perfect. They're probably about 1/300, even smaller than the 1/200 scale kits, but I don't know how consistent their scale is. They are approximately the same size as the Heroclix or Star Wars gaming figures that are popular now. I don't know how easy they are to find anymore. You would be able to get many more on the battlefield that's for sure!

For tabletop gaming, I think that 1/200 might still be too big. I would say that the figures from the Macross pencil sharpener sets that were out a few years ago would be perfect. They're probably about 1/300, even smaller than the 1/200 scale kits, but I don't know how consistent their scale is. They are approximately the same size as the Heroclix or Star Wars gaming figures that are popular now. I don't know how easy they are to find anymore. You would be able to get many more on the battlefield that's for sure!

I did quite a bit of wargaming with the Mechwarrior: Dark Age clix game, and the 1/200 are about the same size (granted, they were a lot bigger than the superhero or mage miniatures). The stands they come with are about the same size as the 'mech dials. I guess it depends on the scale of battles you want to have. Squadron-size battles, the 1/200 should be fine. Fleet battles, then the tabletop might get pretty crowded.

Edited by Penguin

Hey VeganMike, sounds like you are well on your way. I am also writing some Macross miniature combat rules (centered on aerial dogfights, no ground action at this point) and decided to go with the 1/200 scale. I have found the scale is easy to work with and the models base nicely on 60x60mm bases. As mentioned by other members this scale is close to the Battletech game and also quite similar to other 25-28mm miniature games like Warhammer and Warmachine. The main factor that went into my decision though, as I am sure you have found out, is the availability of the various mecha in the 1/200 scale. The Nichimo model line has regular, super and armoured Veritechs, all of the Battle Pod types, and all of the destroids except for the Phalanx and the Monster, which can be found from ARII in 1/200 scale. So the only mecha missing really are the Destroid Phalanx and the Zentraedi Fighter Pod and Male and Female Power Armors. There is a Female Power Armor from one of the Gashapon sets that I have found works very nicely so really there are only 3 mecha not available in this scale. I don't think you can do quite as well finding all the mecha in either the 1/100 or 1/144 scales. I have also found that if you want to have humans or Zentraedi modeled on foot outside their mecha, 10mm and 28mm figs respectively work ok and can be found at any good hobby game store.

Anyways, good luck to you. The 2 pictures I have included are a scale line art drawing from the Perfect Memory book and a few of my models (left to right: Yamato Battloid and Veritech, Nichimo Battloid and Veritech, Nichimo Officer Pod, Nichimo Battle Pod, Gashapon Power Armor, and a 28mm sculpting dollie). Also as a side note on modeling, when you get your Battle Pods (I think you got Nichimo kits, correct?) you will notice that they come with the pieces to make either standard pods or the missile pods. I built mine with small magnets in the body cavity and pieces of sheet metal under the missile pods/gun turrets so I can make any combination of pod varieties I need using the same models.

post-3622-1244404341_thumb.jpg

post-3622-1244404371_thumb.jpg

Battletech figures are approx 1/285, which is a rough standard for some sci-fi table top games.

If you go for the "unseen" original figures you can cover quite a bit of the Macross world.

Wasp is a VF1-S battroid

Wasp LAM is a VF-1S gerwalk

Stinger is a VF1-1A battroid

Stinger LAM is a VF-1A gerwalk

Crusader is a VF-1A GBP

Phoenix Hawk is a VF1-S Super battroid

Phoenix Hawk LAM is a VF-1? Strike gerwalk

Rifleman is a Defender

Archer is a Spartan

Warhammer is a Tomahawk

Clan Stone Rhino or Behemoth is a Monster (sort of)

Marauder is a Glaug

The LAMS can be easily converted to fighter mode by leaving off the legs. There are a few more that are loosely based on Valks but the above are pretty much direct copies. In the original advertising for them back in the early 80's they were even shown in Macross colours.

The unseens are relatively easy to get hold of in both original and recast. The original Behemoth is probably the hardest with the Marauder next. If you decide to use them make sure they are the "unseen" (lawsuit) versions as the later ones had to be redesigned thanks to our favourite Robotech company.