Apollo Leader on the Discovery Channel!

Starting at 8:00 PM EST / 7:00 CST on Sunday November 9th, the Discovery Channel will be airing Rocket Challenge... Rocket Challenge is a three hour presentation that was filmed by First Television at LDRS XXII which, this year, was held near Argonia, KS during the middle of July. LDRS,Large and Dangerous Rocket Ships, is the national high power model rocket get-together held once a year by the Tripoli Rocketry Association. Besides US rocketeers, model rocketeers from around the world attend this event, too, and in 2005, LDRS will be held in Canada.

Some of the featured rockets you will see during this presentation, such as the flying porta potty "Our Stinkin' Rocket", were built by and/or involved members of the rocketry group I belong to, The Heartland Organization of Rocketry - THOR. You will possibly see me on screen during some of these featured projects... I will probably be wearing a white t-shirt that says "TEAM REDSTONE" in bold red letters and has a Mercury Redstone on the back, sun glasses, and a very dark blue (practically black) baseball cap.

As for the main project that I was involved with that will air within the second hour of the show, several other guys from THOR and myself go under the team name "Thor's Hammer" as part of a contest where 8 teams compete to get an 8 foot tall rocket successfully built and flown in the least amount of time.

Before the show is to first air on Sunday, I will give everyone a sneak preview of what to expect. If anyone misses the first or second airing during Sunday evening, it will be reaired twice on Thursday evening, once during the day on Saturday the 15th, and during the evening of Saturday the 22nd on the Discovery Channel.

First of all here are the members of Thor's Hammer of which I was the team leader for: (from left to right) Rick Bosworth, Tony Nicklin, George Wimmer and his son Andrew (Andrew is more into rocketry then his dad!), and me (Richard "Apollo Leader" Burney)! Right behind me and to the right are some of the First TV people. This picture was taken before the contest started.

post-26-1068178292_thumb.jpg

All 8 teams were given parts and components provided by Public Missiles Limited. Some of the kits sets came with three fins, while others came with 4. The lengths and shapes of the nosecones varied so each team had to cut their tubes to different lengths to get the required 8 foot length.

This is one of the other teams turning in their rocket to the the Range Safety Officer for inspection. Two of the eight teams were done building their rockets in under an hour.

post-26-1068178895_thumb.jpg

THOR's Hammer hits the Kansas skies. When all was said and done, our team I believe ended up in fourth place. The winning team got a trophy (can't remember if anything else). ALL teams got to keep their rockets and the Cesaroni Pro54 motor cases! In the case of our team, we ended up dividing up the rocket amongst ourselves. I ended up keeping most of the rocket (except the nose cone) myself. :) I plan on cleaining, repairing, and repainting it over the winter. I tentatively plan on going with a Char Aznable scheme and call it the Red Comet! B))

Over the next few days, I will post some of the other special rockets you will see on the Discovery Channel this Sunday evening. :)

post-26-1068182750.jpg

The show will start in an hour and a half, but I will go ahead and give a sneak preview of some of what you will see. :)

First of all, here is "Our Stinkin' Rocket:. As can be seen, it is an actual Porta Potty! :o This thing was powered by two AeroTech M1419's.

From left to right: Bruce Lee (who is president of THOR and is treasurer of Tripoli Rocketry Association - no Bruce Lee jokes, please :) ), unknown, Ky Michaelson (owner of Rocketman Enterprises), Jodi Michaelson (Ky's wife), Tony Cochran (fellow THOR member), and unknown.

post-26-1068421829_thumb.jpg

Post flight (left to right) - Frank Uroda (founder and president of Public Missiles Limited - PML was a spnosor for this project), Greg Rothman (Greg and everyone else on this list belongs to THOR), Bruce Lee, Kevin Rich, Devin Rich, Deb Trojanowski, and Kevin Trojanowski.

post-26-1068422957_thumb.jpg

Just have time to post one more.

Not sure if this will be on, but Larry Drake of our group tried to beat his old cluster record of successfully lighting 269 A10's back in 1997. In this case, he tried to do 316 Estes D11's... unfortunately, only about 140 of them lit. :(

post-26-1068426379_thumb.jpg

Okay, did anybody watch it? I saw myself quite a few times throughout all three episodes usually in 1 to 3 second bits. Unfortunately, they didn't use the brief interview they taped of me out at the pads for the "From the Ground Up" Contest. :(

For those who missed it, check the beginning of this thread or check my sig for the additional reair dates. B))

I have to convince my parents to tape it for me - my cable channel decided Discovery was a "Premium" channel and replaced it with a shopping network. And raised my rates. At least I'll catch it on the reair date.

If you can't get a copy on tape, I'll see what I can do.