Transformers Dreadwing/Smokescreen - Legioss/Tread

RavenHawk

Anybody else remember this Transformer?

I bought this off of eBay back in 2000 or 2001, figuring it was the closest I was ever going to see to an Alpha/Beta / Legioss/Tread toy.

Fighter and bomber are combined into one big plane to get to the combat site, then split into a fighter and a tank, then transform into a smallish robot and a bulky robot with lots of weapons.

post-7028-1231223524_thumb.jpg

post-7028-1231223542_thumb.jpg

post-7028-1231223558_thumb.jpg

post-7028-1231223572_thumb.jpg

post-7028-1231223585_thumb.jpg

I'm neither asleep or working (hooray!) I rember owning that back in the day, it was probably the best B2 bomber that turned into a tank ever made.

I know, it's up against some stiff competition for that title.

I liked it because:

a) It reminded me of MOSPEADA

b) It made sense to me as a gimmick. Most fighters have such short ranges, fly it to the combat site on the bombers fuel tanks, then separate when it is needed. Plus, the bomber can bomb the location, then transform to a tank to secure the area, with the fighter patrolling. Ok, maybe doesn't make much sense from a Transformers point of view, but from a more human-based one...

Actually, the only sympathy I have for this mold comes from my love of Beast Wars II, where the bomber was BB and the little jet was Starscream and they were a very cool dynamic duo.

As for the G2 characters - well - what can I say? Yeah - making Darkwing and Dreadwind turn into that was a nifty idea and a nice rebuild. As a toy, this was one of the better Transformers; very poseable, multi-transformation. The weapons were too bulky for my liking and the colors are a bit garrish (but that's G2 for you).

All in all a nice piece of work - though like I said - if/when I get these guys, it will be as the Beast Wars II set. In fact, I really prefer how Beast Wars II used the G2 line to how it was initially used in G2. The poseable figures from the G2 line fit better alongside the balljointed beast warriors than they do alongside the G1 retreads used in G2. Also, I prefer the colors and characterizations given to them in Beast Wars II - including Megastorm....

Soo...umm...why isn't this in the Transformers superthread? :)

Pete

am i missing something? I fail to see a connection of this toy to mospeada. Cuz its blue?

Because at the time there was no likelihood of seeing a Legioss/Tread toy, and the bomber and fighter connecting together, then transforming into a small robot (fighter) and a big bulky weapons-laden robot (bomber) reminded me of it, hit a soft spot I have for MOSPEADA, and seemed the closest thing I was ever likely to get my hands on.

Actually, the only sympathy I have for this mold comes from my love of Beast Wars II, where the bomber was BB and the little jet was Starscream and they were a very cool dynamic duo.

As for the G2 characters - well - what can I say? Yeah - making Darkwing and Dreadwind turn into that was a nifty idea and a nice rebuild. As a toy, this was one of the better Transformers; very poseable, multi-transformation. The weapons were too bulky for my liking and the colors are a bit garrish (but that's G2 for you).

All in all a nice piece of work - though like I said - if/when I get these guys, it will be as the Beast Wars II set. In fact, I really prefer how Beast Wars II used the G2 line to how it was initially used in G2. The poseable figures from the G2 line fit better alongside the balljointed beast warriors than they do alongside the G1 retreads used in G2. Also, I prefer the colors and characterizations given to them in Beast Wars II - including Megastorm....

Soo...umm...why isn't this in the Transformers superthread? :)

Pete

Do you have any links to the Beast Wars II bomber and little jet you're referring to? I'm not familiar with them, and haven't managed to find anything on them.

You're not referring to Transtech, right?

As for the Transformers superthread... this seemed a better spot for the thread, as far as getting actual live feedback from people (especially fellow MOSPEADA fans).

I'm pretty sure they were thinking of these two guys when they made the G2 toy.

Very likely, since the US version of the toy of those guys was also named Dreadwing in G1, and Darkwing in Super God Masterforce (I'm referring to the two jets that combine into one, not the jet and the tank).

Edited by RavenHawk