Help me pick an Aliens Pwer Loader

sqidd

Which one is the best value?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Power Loaders

• 1/12 Aoshima?
    • 1/6 Hot toys

I have always wanted one of these and it seems like prices are coming down. I need some advice on which one to get though. I would much rather pay for the 1/12 scale one but if the 1/6 scale unit is just that more impressive, well……….. :D

1/12 Aoshima Aliens Power Loader for $85

or the

1/6 Hot Toys Aliens Power Loader for $275 ish.

Thanks a lot for your input!

Edited by sqidd

I have the 1/12 scale Aoshima, and it is very nice. Even though it is not huge like the 1/6, the 1/12 is a good size IMO. Very heavy with lots of metal. HLJ has the 1/12 scale for 6720yen. http://www.hlj.com/product/AOS09107

I would recommend the 1/12 as it is a very nice model at less than a 3rd the price of the 1/6 scale. The 1/6 does seem to have much more detail, and does look nicer than the 1/12. But that is not to say that the 1/12 looks bad by any means. I was happy with the 1/12 when I got it. However, I do feel the weathered one is nicer than the clean one for sure.

An interesting thing happened to me with HLJ. I ordered the clean version with the pulse rifle and flame thrower, but instead I got the weathered one with the damaged Bishop(Bishop was not to scale BTW). Well I informed them of the mix-up and they simply sent me the pulse rifle and flame thrower. They said to not send anything back, so I got the best of both versions it seems as the weathered one looks much nicer IMO.

I can post pics tonight when I get home. Maybe after viewing the pics you can make a better informed decision.

The 1/6 scale is very impressive. The articulation and detail is excellent. It has some inaccuracies, but for the most part it looks just like the one in the movie. It's also in the same scale as the other Hot Toys Aliens figures. It even lights up too! If your willing to pay the extra cash, I would get the 1/6 scale power loader.

I'd have to say the Hot Toys for sheer impressiveness (granted... I've been collecting all the Hot Toys 1/6 Aliens stuff via Sideshow). I found the lighting on it to be really striking, down to the flourescent bars on the cage that lights up Ripley's face. They obviously aren't flourescent, but they got the quality of light damn near perfect when it lights up the Ripley figure.

That being said, there are two things that I consider downsides:

1. The more serious issue is attaching the hydraulic hoses. The pegs that hold them are kinda fragile, and can be easily broken due to the tight fit of the connectors when attaching them all or when removing them to put it away, especially if you try to work them on by turning slightly (which simply twists them off very efficiently). If you've mastered a gentle but firm grip, you can manipulate them fairly well. Otherise, I recommend widening the holes on the hose connectors slightly if the test fit shows significant tightness. Or, you can go my way... I'm going to replace them all with brass next time I bring it out for display (as my firm but not-so-gentle grip has already snapped a few).

2. On the minor annoyance side, the little motor that turns the amber warning light really makes a lot of noise... kinda ruins the illusion a little.