Painting Hasegawa VF-1

Gloval

I've got a Hasegawa VF-1 kit and want to assemble it into a VF-1J. I've never done anything on this scale before so I need some advice. I think I'll be OK with assembly, but I particularly need painting advice. I have no airbrushes or any of the Hasegawa colours recommended, so I'm worried about the approximation of paint colours and getting a good effect without airbrushing (I don't know if I can afford to spend a lot of money on that at the moment). Any advice would be appreciated.

EDIT:

One more thing. It seems there are some very small components that are supposed to be painted. Being inexperienced with hobby kits I'm not sure whether the parts should be painted before assembly or not.

Edited by Gloval

CLICK HERE for an excellent build up pf a Hsegawa VF-1S, he's not finished yet but with what he's done so far you'll learn a lot

you don't have airbrush.... all I can recommend if you want a clean uniform look, get some rattle spray paint, but make sure to don't spray too close to the model and make light coats so the panel line detail don't get lost, the colors for a VF-1J should be very easy, white, red, and black...

Some of the smaller bits you can brush paint. Only other colours you may need would be a couple of grey light and dark and may be a gunmetal metalic.

Edited by big F

I've got a Hasegawa VF-1 kit and want to assemble it into a VF-1J. I've never done anything on this scale before so I need some advice. I think I'll be OK with assembly, but I particularly need painting advice. I have no airbrushes or any of the Hasegawa colours recommended, so I'm worried about the approximation of paint colours and getting a good effect without airbrushing (I don't know if I can afford to spend a lot of money on that at the moment). Any advice would be appreciated.

EDIT:

One more thing. It seems there are some very small components that are supposed to be painted. Being inexperienced with hobby kits I'm not sure whether the parts should be painted before assembly or not.

If it's a Hikaru VF-1J you could probably get away with just using the base white plastic for most of the parts, paint the small components, and blow clear flat on top. I don't have a airbrush either so I brush paint too. I'd use enamel paints instead of the more popular acrylics because it's less apt to leave brush marks.

I would also suggest you using the forums search engine for old treads about building models. MW Cheng have great step by step tutorials from which I learned a lot by paying attention to detail and then playing it back in my head on how would I approach that step. The rest is trial and error unfortunately...

Some parts sub assemblies have to be painted before hand like the feet/thrusters inside of the lower legs. Most of the rest can be done after the model is built...

This is all great advice guys. I'll get some enamel paints and some other recommended stuff to make my brush painting look as good as possible. There's one thing I thought I should clarify. This is the DYRL Battroid VF-1 Kit, in case that changes anything.