Origins of Ranka's name

Dervish

umm, is that even her real name? coz she was just adopted by Ozma, didnt have any previous memories, so it might not be her real name....

but, yeah, as etymologies go, Lanka & Vajra are Sanskrit.

It's the name we were given in this story. Did the Vajra ever verbally express the name of their race?

Edited by Dervish

Could Ranka be named after the island kingdom of Lanka -- the land of demons led by Ravana which was later conquered by Rama in Ramayana? In episode 22, Ranka goes to the homeworld of the Vajra. Vajra and Lanka are both Sanskrit words in origin. Any thoughts?

I'm sure that's right. Two things we KNOW the Hory Froating Head loves: San Francisco and names from Hinduism.

Buddhism?

Well...the Ramayana is pure Hinduism, but I've been reading Journey to the West, which is pretty Buddhist, and certain names like "Vajra" do turn up in that as well...but since Buddhism was initially an offshoot of Hinduism, I think it's same to refer to things like Vajra, Lanka, Arjuna, and the like as terms from Hinduism.