Robotech Protoculture DVD set

unmc2001

I have a feeling nearly everyone here will recommend the original Japanese shows (SDF: Macross, SDC: Southern Cross and GC Mospeada) over their Robotech equivalents. Watching the Robotech versions is like watching translated, edited and in some cases rewritten versions of the original shows. It depends on what your tastes are but I personally prefer the originals.

You could probably get all three originals pretty cheaply. I was able to get Southern Cross and Mospeada for about fifty dollars. Also, I've heard ADV is making a double pack of Mospeada and Southern Cross for about that much. It's quite a deal.

You could probably get all three originals pretty cheaply. I was able to get Southern Cross and Mospeada for about fifty dollars. Also, I've heard ADV is making a double pack of Mospeada and Southern Cross for about that much. It's quite a deal.

Get em all on amazon lol

You can get "Robotech The Complete Collection" on DVD and it's the exact episodes as they aired way back in 1985. Since there have been a few slightly altered DVDs since then you could probably get the entire Robotech series for like $30 that way. For an extra $20 you get a better picture (I think they used cleaned up Macross footage) and updated sound effects with the Protoculture Edition. That will get you well indoctrinated into Robotech and it's kinda screwy lore.

The original series (which are better than their adapted Robotech brethren, especially Southern Cross) will probably run you close to $100 to get but has better music and sturdier plots. You can get the original Macross for $40 and Genesis Climber Mospeada and Southern Cross will both run you around $25 each.

Edited by jenius