custom 1/48 jetfire WIP

cube

I finally got my 1/48 hikaru 1S and decided to do a quick, ghetto mockup for a custom jetfire. My plan is to keep the painting to a minimum, and do as much as I can with stickers. So today I whipped out some templates for the stickers and gave it a whirl. The only paint on the final version will be the removable nosecone , and the rest of the red bits will all be done with color matched stickers. Got the arm stripes, wing stripes, chest vent thingies, eye/visor, and entire canopy area done. Will probably leave the upper chest area as is instead of reversing the colors cause honestly, I can never remember what way it's supposed to be anyways, so it doesn't bother me if the red and black are reversed.

Why stickers? Wanted to make it as easy to do as possible, without having to take the whole thing apart. Didn't want to have to worry about messing it up either. Can't really screw up painting the nose, since it's removeable, and the stickers fit perfectly on the rest, so it's not much of an issue. Haven't painted the packs yet, but will for the final version. i think I'll remove the heat shield as well, so it's as close to the original as possible.

Even the ghetto version I have now looks great on the shelf, so I have high hopes for the finished product

jetfire1.jpg

jetfire2.jpg

jetfire3.jpg

^you can see i had to leave the very tip of the nosecone colorless for now, as the stickers wouldn't wrap smoothly...fit perfectly everywhere else though.

should have the packs all painted and the finished stickers done this week (fingers crossed)

WOW!!! THAT LOOKS SPECTACULAR!!! The stickers are GREAT!!! Are you going to make a sticker for the chest or will you paint that? If you already answered or said something about this I must have missed it.

:ph34r:

I'll probably leave the chest, but I will try making a sticker and putting some panel lines on it so I don't lose the detail. There aren't many panel lines anywhere else, just a couple of those circle things on the nose that I'll need to work into the stickers.

The stickers on there right now are SUPER ghetto (old cd labels colored red with a sharpie marker, but the finished ones will be printed (my printer's out of ink right now, so I had to macguyver it).

Here are some shots in fighter mode, so you can see the canopy stickers better...these still need to be adjusted for the finished version, and as i mentioned, the removeable nose cone will be painted (even though I don't mind the way it is now)

jetfire4.jpg

jetfire6.jpg

jetfire7.jpg

jetfire8.jpg

jetfire9.jpg

you can see there are a few white spots around the canopy and a gap above the canopy, but those will all be tightened up once i print off the real ones

I picked up new cartridge for my printer today, so should be able to get them all sorted out over the weekend. Once I get them perfect I'll definitely post the template for anyone to print off if they want em (including the one on the nosecone for people who REALLY don't want to paint anything other than the packs)

I picked up new cartridge for my printer today, so should be able to get them all sorted out over the weekend. Once I get them perfect I'll definitely post the template for anyone to print off if they want em (including the one on the nosecone for people who REALLY don't want to paint anything other than the packs)

Coolio!!! Now we can all have our own ghetto JetFire! :D;)

lol :) it's like a dream come true :lol:

update: almost finished the template...added the tail fins and a buncha panel lines to stuff...did the chest colors as well and it turned out better than expected. only tricky part is getting the piece that goes around the canopy to work as one piece.

I finally got my 1/48 hikaru 1S and decided to do a quick, ghetto mockup for a custom jetfire. My plan is to keep the painting to a minimum, and do as much as I can with stickers. So today I whipped out some templates for the stickers and gave it a whirl. The only paint on the final version will be the removable nosecone , and the rest of the red bits will all be done with color matched stickers. Got the arm stripes, wing stripes, chest vent thingies, eye/visor, and entire canopy area done. Will probably leave the upper chest area as is instead of reversing the colors cause honestly, I can never remember what way it's supposed to be anyways, so it doesn't bother me if the red and black are reversed.

Why stickers? Wanted to make it as easy to do as possible, without having to take the whole thing apart. Didn't want to have to worry about messing it up either. Can't really screw up painting the nose, since it's removeable, and the stickers fit perfectly on the rest, so it's not much of an issue. Haven't painted the packs yet, but will for the final version. i think I'll remove the heat shield as well, so it's as close to the original as possible.

Even the ghetto version I have now looks great on the shelf, so I have high hopes for the finished product

jetfire1.jpg

jetfire2.jpg

jetfire3.jpg

^you can see i had to leave the very tip of the nosecone colorless for now, as the stickers wouldn't wrap smoothly...fit perfectly everywhere else though.

should have the packs all painted and the finished stickers done this week (fingers crossed)

Nice job with the Jetfire custom. And nice collection you have there. Makes me wish I still had my old skool Sideswipe. I always loved the Lamborghini Countach.

^^thanks :)

and an update...ghetto no more ;)

jetfire12.jpg

jetfire13.jpg

jetfire14.jpg

hard to see from the pics, but every panel line that got covered was redrawn on the sticker...only "sacrifice" was the airbrake, which i decided to cover iwth a single sticker instead of two separate pieces...always hated the airbrake anyways, so it helps keep it from pointlesly flopping open. :p

battroid pics in the afternoon...i need some sleep :)

yea, i actually decided to leave it like that. When I posed it in battroid/robot mode, i realized it matched the snub nose of the original jetfire, and I liked the look of it better than the full red nosecone

anyhoo, after a long day of fiddling and adjusting, here she be! Sticker list is:

-arm lines

-wing lines

-chest color switch with working air brake (decided I might as well make er work)

-chest vent thingies

-strips down each side of the gun

-thighs and hips

-feet

-tailfins

-nosecone and full canopy surround

-white/red logo for heat shield (if I decide to use it...prefer it without right now)

-black bands that wrap around the FAST packs

-black strips for leg armor

-black/red circular autobot symbols for FAST packs

-eye

-covers for the orange shoulder light thingies

in total, it has 44 stickers :eek:

anyhoo, on to the finished pics (armor, of course, still needs to be painted, but there's only so much time in the day):

jetfire22.jpg

jetfire23.jpg

jetfire24.jpg

jetfire25.jpg

jetfire28.jpg

and yes, I know the heat shield is on wrong, I just plunked it in there for the pics, so you all could weigh in on shield vs no shield (my vote is no shield :) )

not sure If I'm down with the feet stickers either, but Ima leave em there for a bit and see how I feel once the packs are painted.

yea, i actually decided to leave it like that. When I posed it in battroid/robot mode, i realized it matched the snub nose of the original jetfire, and I liked the look of it better than the full red nosecone

anyhoo, after a long day of fiddling and adjusting, here she be! Sticker list is:

-arm lines

-wing lines

-chest color switch with working air brake (decided I might as well make er work)

-chest vent thingies

-thighs and hips

-feet

-tailfins

-white/red logo for heat shield (if I decide to use it...prefer it without right now)

-eye

anyhoo, on to the finished pics (armor, of course, still needs to be painted, but there's only so much time in the day):

and yes, I know the heat shield is on wrong, I just plunked it in there for the pics, so you all could weigh in on shield vs no shield (my vote is no shield :) )

not sure If I'm down with the feet stickers either, but Ima leave em there for a bit and see how I feel once the packs are painted.

OOOooooooohhhhhhh my............That is simply GORGEOUS!!! GREAT JOB!!! You have a PM!

-arm lines

-wing lines

-chest vent thingies

-thighs and hips

-feet

-tailfins

-eye

jetfire28.jpg

Definitely no sheild and the Autobot insignia on the nose cone! You guys will find it funny that when I started looking for a G1 Jetfire in January and noticed the Yamato 1/48's I started looking for a Jetfire version because I still had no idea what I was looking at. This is exactly how I envisioned it to look. This thing is about as ice as your grill Cube! Sweet! Thanks for sharing.

B))

OO

+1 for no shield :)...I tried it with the logo on the nosecone, both in black and red and white and red,and it just wasn't working for me. I've got a couple other autobot logo stickers sitting around still, so maybe I'll give er another shot.

It would be AWESOME if Hasbro licensed an MP version of the Yamato 1/48s for a jetfire :)