Podcast: Macross Zero

Ginrai

I used to really despise Macross Zero, until I read a discussion here about Sara, the Aphos, and the floating rocks. The idea was that Sara wasn't making the rocks float and whatever else, her singing was causing the Aphos to make these things happen. When you take the magic out of it, its not as bad. But I am still disappointed in it, it could have been so much more.

I used to really despise Macross Zero, until I read a discussion here about Sara, the Aphos, and the floating rocks. The idea was that Sara wasn't making the rocks float and whatever else, her singing was causing the Aphos to make these things happen. When you take the magic out of it, its not as bad. But I am still disappointed in it, it could have been so much more.

I'm surprised more people haven't figured that out...what's that Arthur C. Clarke quotation about any sufficiently advanced technology being indistiguishable from magic...?

As for the podcast...I agree with a lot of your points, but I think the "indiginous tribe" theme was a little more complicated than you make out to be...Mao brings up a few reasons for liking the industrial world (primarily, the picture of her parents). Of course, the picture gets destroyed, so that could cancel out my argument.

Also, I didn't mind the environmentalism, and I didn't mind the ending (although it was certainly weird and didn't make a whole lot of sense)...but hey, opinion's opinion.

I liked that you brought up Shin taking a dump, though. More people need to take dumps in anime.

I liked that you brought up Shin taking a dump, though. More people need to take dumps in anime.

Truer words have not been spoken.

I don't know that I can agree about Zero taking itself so seriously though. Nor about the ending... I think it was definitely fitting as far as a love and song overcomes all Macross ending. Then again, I'm one of those people who really loved Zero, so... whathaveyou.

I can't decide if skipping over plot between 4 and 5 was purposeful or not. After the first few minutes episode 5 actually flows really well IMO, and there are a few other skips in the earlier episodes that make it... kind of consistent. Plus it made for a dramatic ending for 4 and a dramatic beginning for 5.

I think my vote goes to... they storyboarded 10 or 15 minutes that didn't fit on either the end of 4 or the beginning of 5, and didn't have the budget or the content for a 'running through the jungle' episode.

I listened to your review. It was interesting and entertaining. Even though I do not agree with many of your points I still enjoyed listening. Sure, the subtitles do suck (aside from the fan subs). Good points about the missing episode/plot. But I personally LOVE Macross Zero.

Sure, the subtitles do suck (aside from the fan subs).

Yeah...I have the same DVDs that mention Fuxutoka and kaifun...thank goodness for fansubs (even though they're somewhat iffy as well...the main one I came across kept saying "chicks" for "hiyoko," not apparently realizing that calling someone a "chick" usually means something different in English..)

• 2 weeks later...