Space Operas.

Space operas are the best type of anime in my oppinion. I have never seen a bad space opera. However.. There arent many. Theres quite a few borderline space operas, but lets just go with definitive space operas. Heres my list.. Which ones did i miss?

Yamato (All the series and movies) - One of the greatest series of all time.

Galaxy Exprexx 999 - Ditto.

Harlock - Harlock is pure awesomness, everything he appears in is cool.

All of Leiji Matsumotos other stuff - Havent seen most of it.. But what I have is cool.

Chojikuu Yosai Macross - I think its considered a space opera. Im not sure if Macross 7 is...

Legend Of Galactic Heroes - only seen one episode.. but its one of the best series EVER so far.

SPT Layzner - Another robot show, but its got veins of Space Opera in it also.

Ginga Sengoku Gunyuuden Rai - Definitive space opera, extremely awesome. Love it. Joji Manabe rules.

Irresponsible Captain Tylor - Im pretty sure it is one. Comedy also, but still.

Seikai No Senki - I love it, a lot of people hate it. I love romantic space stuff though.

Stellvia Of The Universe - New series, love it. Not sure if its space opera, but its awesome!

I post this cause I got to thinking. Theres SOOO many Romance shows, Robot shows, Fighting shows, and yet one of the oldest anime genres of all time... Space Opera... is tiny in comparison! I know Leiji Matsumoto did /oodles and oodles/ of Space Opera movies, OVAs, etc, but still.

-BEN-MAN-

P.S. On a latter note, I saw the first episode of the new Galaxy Railways show, and it was... SERIOUSLY awesome. The trains in it are seriously the coolest trains to ever exist. Although I havent seen all that much of the original Galaxy Express... So yah.

Space operas are the best type of anime in my oppinion. I have never seen a bad space opera. However.. There arent many. Theres quite a few borderline space operas, but lets just go with definitive space operas. Heres my list.. Which ones did i miss?

Yamato (All the series and movies) - One of the greatest series of all time.

Galaxy Exprexx 999 - Ditto.

Harlock - Harlock is pure awesomness, everything he appears in is cool.

All of Leiji Matsumotos other stuff - Havent seen most of it.. But what I have is cool.

Chojikuu Yosai Macross - I think its considered a space opera. Im not sure if Macross 7 is...

Legend Of Galactic Heroes - only seen one episode.. but its one of the best series EVER so far.

SPT Layzner - Another robot show, but its got veins of Space Opera in it also.

Ginga Sengoku Gunyuuden Rai - Definitive space opera, extremely awesome. Love it. Joji Manabe rules.

Irresponsible Captain Tylor - Im pretty sure it is one. Comedy also, but still.

Seikai No Senki - I love it, a lot of people hate it. I love romantic space stuff though.

Stellvia Of The Universe - New series, love it. Not sure if its space opera, but its awesome!

I post this cause I got to thinking. Theres SOOO many Romance shows, Robot shows, Fighting shows, and yet one of the oldest anime genres of all time... Space Opera... is tiny in comparison! I know Leiji Matsumoto did /oodles and oodles/ of Space Opera movies, OVAs, etc, but still.

-BEN-MAN-

P.S. On a latter note, I saw the first episode of the new Galaxy Railways show, and it was... SERIOUSLY awesome. The trains in it are seriously the coolest trains to ever exist. Although I havent seen all that much of the original Galaxy Express... So yah.

Dunno if Sekai no Senki included all of them, but there's also Seikai no Monshou, Seikai no Danshou and Seikai no Senki II. All of them good.

I couldnt describe it in words. Its more of a feeling. Which is equally indescribable. You'd have to have watched space operas in order to know what one is, LOL ^___^

-BEN-MAN-

What makes an anime a Space Opera actually?

It's science fiction where the science takes back seat. Basically, space operas are closer to SF's pulp adventure story roots. In fact, the term itself is a play on the term "sadle opera," which are western adventure stories. Most non-written SF falls in the space opera category.

I'd throw Orguss in there, though not much of it takes place in Space,l that ending was just freakin' awesome. Another one not taking place in space at all, but being strong in that vein is Giant Robo.

The pinacle for me would have to be Yamato & GE:999, 70's Matsumoto was a genius.

Edited by Keith