Differences between VF-1s cockpit interior?

Clay Cliff

Well, It's me or the VF-1 TV version and VF-1 DYRL version cockpit interiors are different?... Can anyone confirm this?... I have some drawings of VF-1 interior and the conckpit has two "control sticks" one at each side panel, and I thought I saw an image where the right control stick is in the middle (between the pilot's legs) instead of the right side console, but I couldn't find that picture again, so I can't confirm that... Thanks in advance.

The 2 different cockpits represent 2 different block versions. Block 5 being the TV or older version and Block 6 being the DYRL? or later model VF-1 version.

Block 5:

http://www.new-un-spacy.com/sdfmacross/vf-...itexterior2.gif

Block 6:

http://www.new-un-spacy.com/macrossdyrl/vf...rl-cockpit2.gif

No HUD in the DYRL cockpit? :huh: Is everything just projected right onto the canopy?

I remember my amazement at the first space battle in DYRL when Hikaru is turning to look as target indicators are projected around him.

Wrong aspect ratio, but visible at around 1:33 here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcANplqmGIw

Next up: user interface design competition for the best way to target an Itano Circus. :-D

A HUD does not need a separate combiner glass, it is easily projected directly on the canopy. The difference is, without a combiner glass, you need a special type of glass for the canopy.

F-14A's (and most F-14B's) (and my car) project their HUD directly onto the windscreen. F-14D, and F-15/16/18/20/22 etc have the more common combiner glass style of HUD.

I'd guess the reason for a combiner glass is that it's much easier to make a small flat plate of the right type of glass, than an entire windscreen.

Yeah, I used to have a Pontiac Grand Prix that had a HUD projected right onto the windshield. It also had the radio controls right on the steering wheel. Two of the best safety ideas for a car I think. I never had to take my eyes off the road! I wonder why those options still aren't more common in cars.

It would make sense to have them on more cars but I'll bet it has to do with money. Years ago ABS and Air Con were seen as luxury extras now most cars come as standard with them. It will only be a matter of time. BMW now have it on some of their range so the other German car Co's will do the same and then the rest of the European ones will follow. Once big hitters like the Japanese and the American car cos do it it will become normal...