Sealing???

misterryno

Hey all,

Is there a product out there that I can use to "seal" my bandai 1/55's after I do panel lining and decal applying to them? PLEASE do let me know. THANKS ALOT.

:ph34r:

Hey all,

Is there a product out there that I can use to "seal" my bandai 1/55's after I do panel lining and decal applying to them? PLEASE do let me know. THANKS ALOT.

Best thing is Future floor sealer its acrylic based and nice and shiney but thin enough to alow the play with treatment that is required of 1/55's.

other great thing is its cheap.

Best thing is Future floor sealer its acrylic based and nice and shiney but thin enough to alow the play with treatment that is required of 1/55's.

other great thing is its cheap.

Will I need to disassemble my chunky to do so?

you can get away with doing it only slightly dissembled, it would be easier to do as you can get to all the nooks and crannies that way but I have done it assembled. just take your time.

I tend to do the wings and the legs as separate then the arms and finally the body as a whole item.

you can get away with doing it only slightly dissembled, it would be easier to do as you can get to all the nooks and crannies that way but I have done it assembled. just take your time.

I tend to do the wings and the legs as separate then the arms and finally the body as a whole item.

I will keep this in mind. ^_^

I could'nt find the sealer that you suggested. Can you suggest another and when I get the chance I will look for the "future" one and whatever other you suggest. THANKS.

Future is sold under a lot of different names. Check out Swanny's 'The Complete Future' (google it) for local names and retailers and tricks to do with the stuff. Oh, it's a supposed floor cleaning product / polish, not a modelling product, paint or varnish. Most places I know that sell it put it near the window cleaning products too (which is handy as you use those to clean up the stuff).

Future is sold under a lot of different names. Check out Swanny's 'The Complete Future' (google it) for local names and retailers and tricks to do with the stuff. Oh, it's a supposed floor cleaning product / polish, not a modelling product, paint or varnish. Most places I know that sell it put it near the window cleaning products too (which is handy as you use those to clean up the stuff).

THANKS...I'll keep my eyes peeled. I just now realized after typing that...that sounds REALLY gross. :lol:

I am sure that the local supermarket will have future. Most do.

that's why supermarkets are so SUPER. I will look there as well. THANKS.

I saw that Wicked Ace had used a "Tamaya" clear coat on one of his customs.....is that a sealant??? If so....I will prob. just go with that.

Hi, normally modellers will spray a layer of top coat to protect their models.

Here's what a Mr. Hobby Topcoat looks like

temp1ze4.th.jpg

And here's what I got from Katoots:

Qns: What are top coat?

Top coat are a layer of finishing coat for your model kit. They come in 3 types of finshing; Gloss, Semi-gloss, Flat/Matt. Available in Spray Can and bottle for airbrush. For bottle top coat, it is necessary to thin it down with the right solvent before airbrushing.

There is Top Coat and there is Mr. Super Clear. The former is acrylic based. The latter is Lacquer based. If you paint your model kit with acrylic paint, applying Top Coat is absolutely necessary to protect the acrylic paint and prevent it from peeling. On the other hand, Lacquer paints like Gunze Mr. Hobby and enamel paint do not peel so easily.

Actual link

http://www.katoots.com/forum/index.php?sho...473&hl=coat

The advice given for spraying top coats are:

1. Remember to shake the topcocat can at least 5mins.

2. Always choose a hot sunny day to spray topcoats.

Else you may get 'frosting' on your precious models.

Hope this is helpful :)

genghis,

That information was MORE than I could have asked for. THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH!!! I am looking forward to continuing my project.

Hi, you are most welcome :)

Btw, I can't find a pic of Tamiya Clear Coat on the web. I have not tried it before, but it should work the same as Mr. Hobby Topcoat.

Do post pics after you have completed your masterpiece gooduo0.gif

I have seen a pic of the Tamaya Clear coat on a different thread. I am gonna be on the lookout for whatever comes first. :D I plan on posting a topic of my "custom" with some before/after...maybe even during pics. We'll see what happens. THANKS AGAIN.

Here's a pic of my current lineup:

Numbers on the caps:

Tamiya "TS-80 Flat Clear"

Testors "1260 Dullcote"

Testors "1960 Flat Lacquer"

SWEET!!! THANKS WA!!!

If you live in Oz you cant get Future apparently its not allowed to be imported and the local equivalent is rubbish for models. Models shops charge a fortune for it.

I'm more interested in the spray version for the time being. I don't like aerosols (spelling) they are just easy to use for newbies.

Future works well both with an airbrush and brushed on by hand. Oh, for a flat coat, mix it with Tamiya Flat Base (X-21). Works brilliantly and is a damn sight cheaper than any comparable matte varnish / topcoat I've seen.

Edited by winterdyne

Future works well both with an airbrush and brushed on by hand. Oh, for a flat coat, mix it with Tamiya Flat Base (X-21). Works brilliantly and is a damn sight cheaper than any comparable matte varnish / topcoat I've seen.

Cool....thanks for the info.

on my 19 custom I sprayed flat clear as a try on the decals of the wings and it works like a charm

even if the can says do not spray on decals

funny !!!

decals look like they are painted on the bird

riks free on my bird

Heck yeah!!! That's what I wanted to here!!! THANKS!!!

Amen to that