Macross Zero dvd's on Ebay?

one_one

Nope, they're not all the same. One is the Animeigo set and the other is a "blechhh!" bootleg. The bootleg one is usually pretty cheap ( $40 - $70 range) and the Animeigo set usually brings at least $150. Make sure to look at pics of the product and compare it with what you see at Animego.com .

Um, yeah, he asked about Macross Zero, not Macross TV.

And I honestly can't answer the question. Everyone must be using the R2 DVDs as their source. With reguards to subtitles, though, I haven't seen or heard anything about any except the MI versions, and eBay sellers simply seem to know that they have a Macross Zero DVD to sell, not who made it. For the MI versions, the audio is excellent Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sounce, probably identical to what is on the R2's. People have complained about the video quality, but I don't really have any complaints there. I'm starting to wonder if it's pixelation that shows up on something like a computer monitor, which has a much higher resolution, since I really only watched them on my home theater (DVD player connected via S-Video to a Panasonic 27" CRT TV). The subs, though, we can all unanimously agree are attrocious. It's like the subbers had some mild understanding of the story and the names for the characters, so they threw something in whenever someone is talking, and yet it doesn't make sense. A perfect example is in the first episode, when Shin goes outside the hut and seems some chickens. He says "Tori," which is Japanese for bird or chicken, but the subtitle reads "Sara and Mao."

Rather than dick around with eBay (I got burned when I bought Zeta Gundam off of one seller, only to find that it was a bootleg of the MI version... that is, a boot of a boot, with the worst video I've seen on a DVD yet), I buy my DVDs from Animeniacs, who carry the MI versions. The MI DVDs aren't a bad way to go, just got to mahq.net and check out their summaries after you watch them. It helps clear some things up.

To followup on the previous post, several people have tried to identify the various bootlegs of M0, especially volume 2. http://www.importanime.com/ helps a little but there's only a review for the Manga International version of vol. 2.

The video problems happen for me both on my home DVD player and on a computer DVD player, so it's not a question of monitor vs. TV. It could depend on the DVD player, or maybe there are manufacturing problems or subversions of the MI bootleg. It's not pixellation, it's a bunch of fine horizontal lines which appear during action sequences, as if half the scan lines are missing.