The state of anime

Mr March

QFT, and I'd wager a majority of us would as well. If this seems obvious to most of us, how come they don't get it?

They get they don't want to change. Think of all the extra people they have to hire besides just the VO actors to a do a dub. They don't want to put them out of work.

Oh the Localization company's get this. But the subs would have to nearly double in volume in order for the company's to see the same profits and the market is way to much of a niche for that to happen easily!

If one could find a way to make subbed anime profitable, I'm sure companies will get behind it. But until then...

If one could find a way to make subbed anime profitable, I'm sure companies will get behind it. But until then...

I don't see how it isn't profitable already. Are those who prefer subtitles over dubs really in the minority? I don't know about you guys (and I don't mean to derail the topic) but, I find it distracting/annoying when the voices aren't in sync with the mouth movements; it's one of the reasons why I prefer subs over dubs. Moreover, just like people who calibrate their TVs so they can view the content as it was meant to be seen...I too I want to hear the content as it was meant to be heard. ...And dubs aren't how the content was meant to be heard, otherwise you wouldn't have the synchronization problem with the mouths. Surely I'm not the only one who feels this way. Hence why I don't see how it isn't already profitable.

I've certainly see magazines claim that dubbies outnumber subbies but I don't know for sure... certainly I think there are a lot of dubbies out there. I don't mean to be insulting but I find the A) younger b) less sophistiated and cultured fans tend to prefer dubs, while the more educated people tend to prefer subs. This isn't always the case and there's the occasional dub that I simply love (anything with Patrick Steward and almost anything with Mark Hamill... stupid Laputa dub ><).

Really I think dubs could be reserved for TV broadcast shows and theatrical release movies that might be the way to go... because certainly out of the anime movies I've seen in theatres in Canada (Pokemon the Movie, Ghost in the Shell 2, Steamboy, Metropolis, Spirited Away) all but Metropolis and GITS were dubbed and those two had the least number of people attending.

But yeah.. stuff that get's shown on YTV like Naruto, Gundam Seed and Death Note? Yeah those can be dubbed but I wouldn't mind if all the straight to DVD stuff was subbed only.

Can't see that happening unless they change the audience at the base level. Including potential audiences. And then really how many of us posters goto foreign movies or foreign tv channels? I'm sure they'll try though!

@Oihan, don't buy into the ratios that the company's state. They used the same tactic with manga and confused the audience enough to believe it while promising far lower prices and better quality. NEITHER have happened (hell DarkHorse has some of the worst manga prints anymore) and the prices have already started increasing to where $13 USD isn't unusual (14.95-16.95 before).

BUT unlike manga, sub titled material has never had a wide market appeal. So they have to tip toe the audience vs price line.